2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rear Glass - is it supposed to...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 04:44 PM
Beginning Member
michaeljwyo is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Glass - is it supposed to...

I've been reading more threads today on the rear glass. I was originally trying to see if anyone found a way to stop the squeak. However people talk about it not popping open and I'm a little confused. On my '95 2-door, when I hit the button on the dash or on the back hatch below the glass, it goes "ziiiiiiing-CLAK" Then I can lift the glass open. Is the glass actually supposed to pop open and go all the way up by itself? I don't mind lifting it by hand once the latch is popped. I'm really curious, that's all.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:24 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

Naw, yours is normal. I dunno about ziiing-clak but they don't self lift.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:57 PM
Nathan1991 is on a distinguished road

mine zing-claks and no they dont open by themselves

Old 09-26-2009, 11:25 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

Also mine just pops open it doesnt actually open up. Granted my lift supports for the glass and lifgate are about toast so maybe it would with brand new ones.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:21 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by michaeljwyo
I've been reading more threads today on the rear glass. I was originally trying to see if anyone found a way to stop the squeak. However people talk about it not popping open and I'm a little confused. On my '95 2-door, when I hit the button on the dash or on the back hatch below the glass, it goes "ziiiiiiing-CLAK" Then I can lift the glass open. Is the glass actually supposed to pop open and go all the way up by itself? I don't mind lifting it by hand once the latch is popped. I'm really curious, that's all.
Originally Posted by portcqb
Also mine just pops open it doesnt actually open up. Granted my lift supports for the glass and lifgate are about toast so maybe it would with brand new ones.
guys, these are not "soccer mom" Montana's! there is no chauffeur to drive you to the opera, no butler to bring you your afternoon tea, hahahaha!
relax, i just breakin' ***** boys. regarding your "squeak", try wrapping a little black electrical around the "hoop" latch on the window (maybe 4 or 5 wraps). you're probably going WTF, but trust me, this is a quick easy fix i had to do it on my Jimmy. sure you may need to repeat it every few months or so, it all depends on how much you use the rear glass.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:00 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a tailgate (two peice) version, new support struts, and the weatherstripping is clean and dry, then yes, the glass can lift up by itself like mine does.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:40 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rriddle3
If you have a tailgate (two peice) version, new support struts, and the weatherstripping is clean and dry, then yes, the glass can lift up by itself like mine does.
It can lift up by itself, but of all of them that I have seen & worked on, I would say 95% don't. They just pop and jump out about 1". It doesn't mean anything is wrong either way.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Beginning Member
michaeljwyo is on a distinguished road

Okay that's what I figured....that NO it probably ISN'T supposed to pop all the way open by itself. No mine doesn't even pop out about an inch. It doesn't move at all. Just the clack signifying that the latch is undone. My gas shocks are about shot too (big surprise)...I have to push it all the way up and then most times it will stay. If there's wind or if it's cold then no it won't stay by itself.
Thanks for the advice on the squeak too. I figured it'd be something like that....wrapping electrical tape or duct tape or something around the hoop that the latch grabs on to. I did try recreating the squeak by pulling on it when it's shut, but it doesn't squeak so I wasn't sure. Didn't mean to make a double-thread there but I hadn't seen much in all the forums about anything that can be done for the squeak. Thanks for replying, guys.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:20 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rriddle3
Originally Posted by swartlkk
It can lift up by itself, but of all of them that I have seen & worked on, I would say 95% don't. They just pop and jump out about 1". It doesn't mean anything is wrong either way.
yeah, that's what all of my S series trucks have done (1st & 2nd gen). i think rriddle3 is using his super powers in public again, getting that glass to pop right up on it's own, hahahaha!

Originally Posted by michaeljwyo
Okay that's what I figured....that NO it probably ISN'T supposed to pop all the way open by itself. No mine doesn't even pop out about an inch. It doesn't move at all. Just the clack signifying that the latch is undone. My gas shocks are about shot too (big surprise)...I have to push it all the way up and then most times it will stay. If there's wind or if it's cold then no it won't stay by itself.
Thanks for the advice on the squeak too. I figured it'd be something like that....wrapping electrical tape or duct tape or something around the hoop that the latch grabs on to. I did try recreating the squeak by pulling on it when it's shut, but it doesn't squeak so I wasn't sure. Didn't mean to make a double-thread there but I hadn't seen much in all the forums about anything that can be done for the squeak. Thanks for replying, guys.
i tried the duct tape, but found the electrical tape worked best (and just plain easier to work with). not sure what you "squeak" sounds like, but i used to call it "turkey Bob", 'cause the damn thing sounded like a turkey in a barn yard while driving down the highway-and it didn't matter how loud i had my system cranked up, you could hear it coming through with the highs!

Old 09-27-2009, 05:51 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
...i think rriddle3 is using his super powers in public again, getting that glass to pop right up on it's own, hahahaha!
That's good!
I think everybody missed a key word in my reply - "can". That does not mean the glass 'will' or 'should', but it 'can' if the three criteria I mentioned exist.

Quick Reply: Rear Glass - is it supposed to...