2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

rear glass tricky to open

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 07:42 AM
Beginning Member
DEATH-TRAP is on a distinguished road
Question rear glass tricky to open

I have a 98 ZR2 blazer and for me to open the rear glass I have to have someone hold the button down on the dash for it to release ..I'm thinking its a relay?? But not sure and I can not figure out where the relay might be...any suggestions??
Thanx in advance

Old 02-22-2012, 07:48 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by DEATH-TRAP
I have a 98 ZR2 blazer and for me to open the rear glass I have to have someone hold the button down on the dash for it to release ..I'm thinking its a relay?? But not sure and I can not figure out where the relay might be...any suggestions??
Thanx in advance
Hmmm... So the latch DOES release electrically but you have to pull the glass up away from the latch by hand.
Is that right? So what is it you think that relay does?

Old 02-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Beginning Member
Talking

Originally Posted by pettyfog
Hmmm... So the latch DOES release electrically but you have to pull the glass up away from the latch by hand.
Is that right? So what is it you think that relay does?

No when you push the button on the dash it should release the latch until you open and close the hatch but it don't..when you let go of the button it latches again so I have to have someone hold down the button while I press the lock/button on the tailgate and lift the glass at the same time..shouldn't be a 2 man job

Old 02-22-2012, 05:51 PM
BF Veteran

Okay.. here's what I have..

Attached Thumbnails rear glass tricky to open-ckt_liftgaterelease.jpg  
Old 02-22-2012, 06:16 PM
war00 is on a distinguished road

im having the same problem with mine. ive come to conclusion that there has to be a timing circuit to control how long the actuator is active for and i believe its in the bcm. do you have an after market alarm/auto start installed.

Edit: forget what i said about the bcm. I just went out and had a quick look at mine and notice that my lift glass shocks are shot. I believe the shocks are what help aid in pushing it out of the latch. I would check the operation of the shocks before you rip your truck apart looking for a electrical problem that may not exist.

Last edited by war00; 02-22-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Beginning Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by war00
im having the same problem with mine. ive come to conclusion that there has to be a timing circuit to control how long the actuator is active for and i believe its in the bcm. do you have an after market alarm/auto start installed.

Edit: forget what i said about the bcm. I just went out and had a quick look at mine and notice that my lift glass shocks are shot. I believe the shocks are what help aid in pushing it out of the latch. I would check the operation of the shocks before you rip your truck apart looking for a electrical problem that may not exist.

I really appreciate that bro..I'm gonna check that out cause I really don't know where to start ...thanx again

Old 02-22-2012, 08:13 PM
BF Veteran

I checked mine after the wife got home.
When I push the dash window release, the window pops outward slightly. There is no 'period of time' after which it locks.
If I immediately push in the window, I hear it latch.

This also works fine on it
Liftgate Release
You may use the keyless entry system or your power
door locks to release the liftgate or liftglass.
The liftglass can be opened
using the pushbutton on the
liftgate after the driver’s
door has been opened using
either the power lock
system or the remote
keyless entry system.
- pg 67 1999 Bravada owner manual

- unlock using the driver door switch, walk back, push button - window pops.
In other words the glass latch works just like the traditional trunk release.

Look in your owner manual. If you dont have one.. type like this in your google search box:
1999 bravada owner manual

Will probably be top of search results

Old 02-22-2012, 10:08 PM

I checked mine after the wife got home.
When I push the dash window release, the window pops outward slightly. There is no 'period of time' after which it locks.
If I immediately push in the window, I hear it latch.

This also works fine on it

- pg 67 1999 Bravada owner manual

- unlock using the driver door switch, walk back, push button - window pops.
In other words the glass latch works just like the traditional trunk release.

Look in your owner manual. If you dont have one.. type like this in your google search box:
1999 bravada owner manual

Will probably be top of search results
(In other words the glass latch works just like the traditional trunk release.) Yes, but they also have springs in the trunk to aid the opening of the trunk when the button is pressed and thats what the shocks are doing plus holding the glass up and keeping it from falling down. if there is no pressure from the shock pushing on the glass it wont move out from the latch when released unless manualy pulled like he is already doing. just my 0.02c

Old 02-22-2012, 10:22 PM
BF Veteran

You're probably right.. I thought it was the seal pushing the bottom out that little bit.. or it's a combination of both the struts and a tired flat seal
Still the alternative would be to unlock using door unlock switch then the hatch pushbutton while lifting the window

Old 02-22-2012, 10:44 PM

You're probably right.. I thought it was the seal pushing the bottom out that little bit.. or it's a combination of both the struts and a tired flat seal
Still the alternative would be to unlock using door unlock switch then the hatch pushbutton while lifting the window
true thats what i gotta do in the winter, in the summer the inside switch works fine

Quick Reply: rear glass tricky to open