2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rear hatch isn't locking...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Beginning Member
SubbinBlazer is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Rear hatch isn't locking...

Rear hatch isn't locking what exactly could have gotten damaged?
I ran into this:
https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...nt-open-12396/
but that seems to be working, but the trunk/lid doesn't lock whether I try to lock it using the driver and passenger side switch or my alarm remote. I was wondering if there was a fuse that could have gone bad, but not sure if there is one for that. My '01 S-10 Blazer rear trunk opens down and glass opens up (2 piece) If I remember correctly, some Blazers trunk/hatch opened (1 piece) hope that makes sense.Does your Blazer similar to mine make aunlock/lock noise from the rear when doors are locked/unlocked? Mine isn't doing that noise and I don't rmember if it ever did that locking/unlocking noise.TIA

Last edited by SubbinBlazer; 05-18-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:10 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

did you try to operate the latch with the hatch open and see if it maybe needs a little wd40?

Old 05-18-2012, 04:18 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
did you try to operate the latch with the hatch open and see if it maybe needs a little wd40?

I did try to lock with the rear window opened, but the WD40 idea sounds like a good idea. I'll have to give it a shot later on. From what I have found, only things that are possible are the trunk lock solenoid, Actuator, or relay unless I'm missing something. Thanks

Old 05-18-2012, 06:22 PM
Beginning Member

I sprayed some WD40 on the mechanical parts of the latch things, but nothing. Honestly, I didn't think that was going to work since what it. Seems to be is a electrical problem not mechanical. Can someone do me a favor and have someone unlock/lock their car and see if you hear anything coming from the trunk lid? Would really appreciate that. I don't know what else to look for on this problem. Thanks

Old 05-18-2012, 06:42 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

I know i can hear a noise when i use the keyfob or buttons.
Do you have a way to test the harness at the latch for power?
That will help you alot...esp if your not getting power to it.
if your getting power at the harness then you may need to replace it.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
I know i can hear a noise when i use the keyfob or buttons.
Do you have a way to test the harness at the latch for power?
That will help you alot...esp if your not getting power to it.
if your getting power at the harness then you may need to replace it.

I have a digital multi meter, but not too sure how I would check the harness for power. When you say "replace it", what are you referring to?
What is Keyfob? Sorry... When I push on the button on the trunk to open the glass window, I could hear the noise of the mechanical stuff, , but nothing when I hit the unlock/lock switch from the passenger/driver noise nor from my remote. Is your Blazer similar to ine to where it has the button to push in and it pops the window open and then you have to put your hand in on the left side(driver side) handle to open the trunk? Thanks

Last edited by SubbinBlazer; 05-18-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:13 PM
Beginning Member

When i push on the button that is on the dash to pop the rear glass, it opens...

Old 05-18-2012, 09:16 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

Sounds like there is power back to the hatch. possible bad lock solenoid or connection loose. Is this a split hatch or the one piece?

Old 05-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by 4x4blazerguy
Sounds like there is power back to the hatch. possible bad lock solenoid or connection loose. Is this a split hatch or the one piece?

The window and hatch open seperatly, so I guess that is split hatch.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:17 PM
Beginning Member

Had some more diagnosing done and it seems like the problem is coming from the driver side door. Apparently the drivers side door doesnt lock either but when i manually lock it it also locks the rear hatch

Quick Reply: Rear hatch isn't locking...