2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rear tailgate glass craziness

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 08:05 PM
Starting Member
truesmack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rear tailgate glass craziness

I have a 2001 blazer and my rear tailgate and glass is going freaking crazy. It tends to pop open for no apparent reason and only way I was able to keep it closed was locking it. Now only a few days later it like it won't open either from the glass release button on the dash or the button on the tailgate. It is like it is doing whatever it wants, its crazy. Sometimes I have locked the truck and truck is still running I unlock the doors to get out and all that and the glass pops open you can hear it and the gate ajar lights up on the dash, my first thought is the rear glass switch in the dash has gone crazy, but now, that it won't seem to open up either right now, maybe its something more. Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Starting Member
Blazin1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Rear tailgate glass craziness

Read this it might help you get your hatch open. It helped me. https://blazerforum.com/m_39183/tm.htm

Old 12-30-2008, 02:45 PM
Starting Member

Thanks, but the bigger problem is I cant keep it closed, it tends to pop open at any time. I have to lock the truck in order to keep it closed, otherwise it will pop open when driving. Then when I stop and unlock the truck to get it out it pops open with the door locks. I go in the the store or where ever and come out and either use the key fob or use the unlock on the drivers door with the key and the rear hatch glass will pop open with it. It just crazy, I dont even know where to start now, it has been getting worse.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:02 PM
Starting Member
Blazin1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh I see. Maybe the locking mechanism needs to be re-adjusted??? theres a thread on here that explains how to do it. If I find it I'll post the link for you.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:01 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

*CONTINUED FROM DUPLICATE THREAD*
ORIGINAL: truesmack
I have a 4 door, 2001 blazer,with a tailgate and lift glass, there is a button on the dash and a black push button on the tailgate itself to pop the glass. First problem is my glass would pop open at any time, like even going down the road a few times. So i started locking the truck and taking off, that worked, until you stopped and unlocked the doors then again it would pop the glass as you unlock the door almost instantly. Its cold here so i left it at that for know and gets dark so early too. Now this morning I went out and it won't open at all, I don't hear nothing when I press either button too. I have read a lot of posts on here about not opening the glass but they normally state they here the actuator, in my case you hear nothing at all. I am sorta lost on what to do, sorta seems electrical problem, but i dont know, thanks for all your help if you can.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Starting Member

Sorry, things just changed a little bit, I didn't mean to repost, I just can't seem to find any info on this its like it has no power cause I dont hear anything, anyways, I will investigate it more.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Starting Member

Here are a few pics, just wondering if anyone can see anything wrong. Trying to narrow it down to something in the gate, the black button on outside of the gate, or inside switch to open rear hatch on the dash. I can hear the relay clicking under the hood so that is good, just wondering if anyone has any ideas, thanks for all suggestions.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9613/F8422BB5C3DC41FE841C7219E626A667.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9613/C3CF12C95D68425793D7E110D71AB753.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9613/5BFAE064BF4846CBB5269F0893E39272.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Byte Stryke is an unknown quantity at this point

to be honest I would start checking and tracing wiring...
Intermitent function and malfunction usually indicates a grounding/short in wiring.
if you have a connector/wire flopping around, sometimes on the proper post, sometimes crossing, it will cause your gate to pop without your input. or if you have an open circuit with the button depressed, it wont open.

just my thoughts

Old 01-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Starting Member

I was sorta leading that way actually, guess my confusion in the button on the back on the tailgate itself to pop the window is that mechanical or electirical that pop the window there. The button on the dash doesn't work but either does the button on the back, but like i said it glass tends to pop open for no reason from time to time, normally when the truck is locked then unlocked, but I don't know, Im going to look into it more when its a bit warmer outside. thanks.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Byte Stryke is an unknown quantity at this point

Both buttons are electric switches IRRC. The one in the rear is just shiney and has a lock... if Both switches/buttons are acting up, i would start checking connectors on the motor/servo

Quick Reply: Rear tailgate glass craziness