2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rear window... heres a new one

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 12:01 PM
frosenchosen is on a distinguished road
Default Rear window... heres a new one

ok, so ive searched this and other forums, and have found nothing. i dont know much about these trucks, as i just bought my wife one, but now it appears that im going to know way more about it rather soon. i just did a tranny swap, and all went well, but now i have this issue. ummm, when the back widow is latched, it makes a really loud clicking noise when the truck is on. like its trying to open it. it only does it when the trucks on, and when the window is latched. i dont even know where to begin looking. switch? relay? shoulda bought another pickup?

oh right, no sig yet, ummm, 95 4dr 4.3 vortec

Old 03-03-2010, 08:45 PM
Default update

so, i took apart the tailgate, and figered out that the motor/solenoid that pops open the window is somehow going when the latch is closed. anyone have any info on the wiring for that motor/solenoid so i can run down the wiring and see if its getting ground from somewhere. when it clicks, it doesnt open the latch until i push the button. is it trying to operate in reverse?

Old 03-03-2010, 10:15 PM
hspepke is on a distinguished road

Just checked my Chilton manual, and it has no wiring diagram for the locking system. The description of lock/unlock solenoid problems is something like, "check for voltage in the wires locked and unlocked because they can break due to the stress of opening and closing the doors". Duh. Good luck. Hope my '95 doesn't start doing that, there are enough mysterious clicks in the front end, sure don't need more from the back!

Old 03-04-2010, 12:01 AM

no kidding right... yeah, i looked in my chilton too and couldnt find anything.
this is just such a pita cuz the truck was supposed to be one of those quick fix cheap deal kind of thing, and its been nothing but problems since i rolled it off the trailer. its also got a viper remote start and apparently you can only operate the thing if you have some kind of computer engineering degree

Old 03-05-2010, 11:15 AM

bump. nobody knows anything?

Old 03-05-2010, 01:00 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I'll get on GM Service Info tonight and see if I can find you the diagram (if I remember). I'm at the office now, so I can't access it.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:35 PM

sweet. thanks man. i was thinking about replacing the solenoid, but if its a faulty ground thing, then that wouldnt help at all. do you know if any of those wires run down the driver side on top of the frame rail? i might have hit something while doin the trans swap. i just dont know man.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Beginning Member
ryanarmstrong is on a distinguished road

this is easy leave it running with the rear door skin off and take a flashlight and check to see the solenoid is moving if it is replace solenoid with another. and for wiring check 12volt.com

Old 03-05-2010, 09:15 PM

i have already established that the solenoid is still going when the truck is on. what im trying to do is fix it without just up and blowing money on a part that i might not actually need. its my understanding that if a solenoid goes bad, than it doesnt go overactive, it would go inactive. am i missing something in my inebriated logic?

Old 03-07-2010, 03:47 PM

bump. ive read all these other thgreads, but the little retainer is still intact. none of these help with my situation. is it a replace the solenoid and hope it works thing?

Quick Reply: Rear window... heres a new one