2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rear window latch squeaks BAD

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:23 AM
Beginning Member
Krazymexikn is on a distinguished road
Default Rear window latch squeaks BAD

I got a 2000 2dr blazer and the rear window latch squeaks horrible when im driving down the highway, im sure this isnt a problem nobody else has had so any ideas on fixing it? Ive tried puting tape on the bar connected to the window but that wears away after a day or so, and i tried wrapping the bar in rubber tubing but it just gets torn off.

Also, looking at the latch, it looks like the latch inside the lift gate use to have some sort of boot around it but got broken off or worn away. so is there supposed to be something covering the latch?
I just need the squeaking to stop, i get such a headache before getting to work

Old 10-23-2013, 11:12 AM
Beginning Member
jtorlando25 is on a distinguished road

Is it a metal on metal sound? I'm guessing it's not since you called it a squeek. That's actually the glass itself.

Do the gas struts that hold up the glass still work? Is there any slop in them?

Mine were completely blown when I got the truck (the glass wouldn't stay lifted at all). I had the same horrendous squeeking and went crazy trying to make it stop. The day I replaced the gas struts, the squeeking stopped entirely. My guess is that the new strut pulls the glass against the gaskets tighter, stopping it from bouncing around.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Beginning Member

Yes the struts are shot but I dont think thats the origin of the sound. Its metal on metal, the bar on the window glass is rubbing against the latch inside the lift gate, at least thats what it seems to be because if i wrap some tape around the window bar the noise will stop until the latch wears through

Old 10-23-2013, 11:28 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

2 things you can do, 1, adjust the latch so it holds the window tighter, and lube the hinges for the window. ive done this on both of mine and it worked perfect.
Suggested this to another member on here, and it worked for them as well.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Beginning Member

How do I adjust the latch? I've looked but cant figure it out, my dad suggested the same thing

Old 10-23-2013, 11:41 AM
Beginning Member

The struts are so cheap and easy to swap and I'm still 99% sure they would fix your issue...adjusting the latch has pretty much the same affect. I can't see why anyone would want to keep the headache of lifting up that glass every time they go in the trunk...

Old 10-23-2013, 11:45 AM
Beginning Member

What do you mean? even with new struts id still have to lift the window to get back there right?

Old 10-23-2013, 01:27 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Krazymexikn
What do you mean? even with new struts id still have to lift the window to get back there right?
You have to lift a few inches then the strut does the rest, pulling it up the rest of the way and holding it up for you.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:38 PM
Beginning Member

damn, i was hoping you were gonna say the struts would lift it up all the way when i press the button. oh well.. maybe someday when i get rich and famous

Old 10-23-2013, 02:41 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Krazymexikn
How do I adjust the latch? I've looked but cant figure it out, my dad suggested the same thing
not 100% sure how its done on a second gen but I assume its the same way as a first just about.
if so, you remove the interior panel on the tail gate, once you have that off, there will be 3 or 4 bolts holding the latch on the tail gate, loosen those bolts, and play around with it to see what works that is not too tight to make the window difficult to open.

as for the strong arms that hold the window up. The rear window on these things are notorious to squeak, whether those are bad or not, so replacing them MAY work temporary

Quick Reply: Rear window latch squeaks BAD