2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Recommended maintainance at 52,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 11:13 PM
puttster is on a distinguished road
Default Recommended maintainance at 52,000 miles

I got a manual for my new 2002 blazer to see what was needed to bring it up to shape after its 52,000 miles of very limited maintenance. I was shocked to see some of the recommended intervals. Every 30,000 miles: Replace fuel filer, wheel bearing grease, Transm fluid, antifreeze, spark plugs. Also, lube the chassis at 7500, change the oil every 3000 - it all seems pretty old school!

So I started a list of things that have gone wrong from the thread here: How long have you had and how much have you put into your blazer?

Though it is 28 pages long, I started getting a feel for real owner issues after 7 or 8 pages...

Plugs 21
Ball Joints 15
Fuel Pump 13
New radiator 10
Alternator 10
Idler arm 9
Wheel bearings 9
Cap & Rotor 9
Plug wires 8
Rebuild transmission 8
Spider injectors 8
Water Pump 8
AC compressor 6
Heater core 6
Pittman arm 5
U-Joints 5
Swaybar link/bush 4
Distributor 4
Coil 4
Tie Rods 3
Muffler 2
Serp belt 2

There were plenty brakes and shocks but lots of times those are either forgotten about or optional, (ball joints and tune up stuff are kind of optional sometimes, too though) so I left them off.

Ant thoughts about this list and what it means in terms of periodic maintenance? Does it seem realistic?

Old 09-13-2015, 10:37 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

Puttster, 'help us help you' to paraphrase a popular line out of an old movie. Please provide pertinent info such as year , 4WD or 2WD, 2 doors or 4, SUV or S10 pick up, auto or manual, whether you drive mostly on highways or do a lot of offroading, whether you live in the hot or cold climate, mtn's or desert, have many modifications or it's stock, and so on. The more info you provide, the better answers you are likely to get. You will also get more answers quicker. The easy way to not forget this info is to provide it in your signature. You listed your mileage as 52,000 and that is very helpful.
I noticed one item not on the list of common problems you found: excessive coolant loss=intake manifold leak= Fel Pro upgraded gasket set. It could be you could check off two list items with one project: replace spider injectors and do the Fel Pro gaskets at the same time!
I think many would say start with a 'major' tune up /all AC Delco products/ and a chassis lube and oil and filter change. Serp. belt if worn or cracked, coolant hoses if bulging or cracked. ATF fluid and filter/screen definitely. I rec. a 12k to 15 k miles on this even though the owner's manual says 30 k. In looking at the manual rec., always use the 'severe' not the normal on the mileage guidelines.
Now you have a good basis to begin with your truck. It is not wise to rely on what the former owner, or even worse, the used car salesman says. They will always say--' We just did all that' and you know you can't believe it.

Old 09-13-2015, 02:46 PM

Rats, I had edited a sig with the info but it must not have saved I'll try again.
Car was not driven hard and has spent the last two years or so in a garage. I got it running well, the only apparent remaining issue is a weak/faltering idle (no rpm drop or CEL) and the needed maintenance.
By spider do you mean under the intake manifold? Injectors, too? Is it a preventative maintenance item or just wait till it goes bad?

Last edited by puttster; 09-13-2015 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:51 AM

Yes, the spider under the intake manifold. It is a wait til it goes bad and so is the intake manifold leak. The Water pump also falls into that catigory. A lot of items on that common problems list are not routine maintenance items, but good to be aware of and keep an eye on.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:45 PM

Okay. right away:
Lube ( ball joints, idler, U joints and tie rods?)
AT fluid change
Coolant change
Oil change

Then at first opportunity:
Repack front wheel bearings
Tune up (I can't believe the distributor is way back there)

Water hoses and belt look good. I didn't see power steering or timing belt on the repair list so I guess those are not to worry about. As far as EGR, PCV, IAC, MAF and that kind of stuff, they could last for another 52,000 miles or until the CEL comes on?

Old 09-14-2015, 02:03 PM
Starting Member
No false Bravada is on a distinguished road

Cleaning the EGR, PCV, IAC and MAF can help alot. The biggest thing about cleaning them, ONLY use MAF sensor cleaner for the MAF. The other stuff, like the EGR, you can probably get away with using something like throttle body/carb cleaner to clean it.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:47 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

I've never had a 2WD apart. Are the front bearings serviceable? On 4WD the front bearings are sealed...

Old 09-14-2015, 08:29 PM
Starting Member
No false Bravada is on a distinguished road

Iirc, as you said the 4WD hubs /bearings are sealed, but the 2WD have the kind you can pack with fresh grease.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:13 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

Hmmm interesting...

Old 09-15-2015, 09:48 AM

RE: for the 2003 year, the sealed hub/wheel bearings are used on both the 2WD and the 4WD versions. The best way to determine what your year and model has, other than getting out and looking under, is to look at a good on line catalog such as Rock Auto or 1A Auto. 1A Auto has a great library of how to DIY video's and one of them is the front hubs replacement. When you go to the parts catalog, the video is just a click away.

Quick Reply: Recommended maintainance at 52,000 miles