2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Recovery Hook Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 05:49 PM
Starting Member
JS_blazer is on a distinguished road

well, i soaked em in PB last night, and only managed to get the driver side one out.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:15 PM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure if they come straight out or not but try hooking it somthing heavy and pulling it out with the truck.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:24 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 88s10Blazer
I'm not sure if they come straight out or not but try hooking it somthing heavy and pulling it out with the truck.
you mean shear the bolts off?

Old 12-24-2009, 01:51 AM
foxxie is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ABN31B
16 an straight edge? then pound 2 virgin screw drivers and tackle those hooks!

Old 12-24-2009, 05:26 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABN31B
you mean shear the bolts off?
I think he meant unbolt it and then use another truck to pull it out. Not the greatest idea though, since once it lets go it will turn into a rocket and fly towards the truck that's pulling on it. I predict a broken window and a large dent in the tailgate if you tried it.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:38 AM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JS_blazer
well, i soaked em in PB last night, and only managed to get the driver side one out.
I'm thinkin you meant that you could only get the bolts on one side to come out. For the other side, I'd say it's time for air tools (seriously, when is it not time for air tools!). Start with an air ratchet, if that doesn't work, go get an impact, if that doesn't work, do what that one elevator mechanic did when my dad told him that it would take two more weeks to bring power to the shaft: run around in a circle with your hands in the air and in a thick french accent scream "I'm FOOKED! I'm FOOKED!" works every time.

Regards,

Thomas

Old 12-24-2009, 07:46 AM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

Instead of using another truck to pull the hook out, why dont you tie your chain to a tree and just back up? When it comes out all its gonna do is go for the tree. Problem solved!

Old 12-24-2009, 08:22 AM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road

Okay, a lot of people are talking about pulling with these trucks. Removing an unbolted tow hook, yeah you could probably win. But that's a dangerous game to play and I'm gonna say don't get in the habit of that and here's why:

Below 30 MPH, your torque converter clutch (TCC) is not engaged. Now, the Blazer has a modern Torque Converter that has a feature where the torque converter can multiply the torque to help get you going. This happens when the pump is turning but the turbine isn't (i.e. the engine is spinning the torque converter but the car isn't moving. The problem is that the 4L60E can handle 360 pound feet of torque. However, the torque converter can multiply your engine's 250 pound feet to 500 WAY more than the 4L60E can handle. Now, if the object budges and the transmission starts to begin, then the torque converter moves out of stall (the torque multiplying phase) and everything is okay. However, if you are unsuccessful at pulling the object, you have just thoroughly cooked your tranny. Also, from my experience, the 4L60E doesn't rebuild well.

Regards,

Thomas

Old 12-24-2009, 10:40 AM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't buy that for a minute. If thats the case then we should never pull anyone out of a ditch? Or pull anything at all. All I was saying is pull up to a tree and tie a chain to it and put it 4Lo and gently give it a tug.

Have you seen the new Chevy commercials where the truck pulls that big A$$ rock? Or where it pulls 3 trucks out of the mud?

Now if the guy ties a chain to it and then stomps on it, yeah hes gonna do some damage. But a gentle tug won't hurt anything.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:22 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TFisher
seriously, when is it not time for air tools
im with you on that one! impact beats the hell out of a breaker bar all day long! i <3 air tools!

Originally Posted by TFisher
it would take two more weeks to bring power to the shaft
this is quote gold people!

Quick Reply: Recovery Hook Removal