2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Recurring No Heat Problem... Cause..???

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:33 AM
metalhead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recurring No Heat Problem... Cause..???

Just wondering if anyone here could help with my no heat issue.. since we bought the truck last Feb i've had the heater core3 times.. last time i took it to crappy tire and had a full coolant system flush about a month and a half ago.. T-stat has been changed.. i did notice that the top hose on the rad is hot but not too hot to touch.. same with the top hose going into the heater core.. but the return on the heater core is just warm.. it almost seems like there's little to no circulation happening..

my question is what could be causing the constant blocking of the heater core if there was a full coolant system flush done only a month and a half ago..?? anyone got any ideas as to what might be my problem here..?? and how to fix it..?? THX

EDIT: almost forgot.. the other night when the no heat issue recurred idecided to take the highway home and pretty much put the pedal to the metal to see ifit might free up whatever was causing the problem.. and when the truck was racing towards the redline in second i noticed you could hear a gurgling sound coming from behind the dash around the area of the heater core..

could it also be that i have an recurring airlock problem.. because i remember this happened way back when we first got the truck... also how would i fix this if it was the problem.. andanother thing.. yes all fluids are good THX again

Old 01-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Recurring No Heat Problem... Cause..???

The gurgling sound is usually only mean one thing, you are low on coolant. You did check the coolant when the engine was cold, at the radiator, right? Just because there is fluid in the overflow reservoir, doers not mean that the cooling system is full! Also the heater core could be getting blocked by debris left in the systemby a poor coolant flush.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:44 PM
metalhead is an unknown quantity at this point

yes.. i did check it at the cap when it was cold.. a little even spilled out.. i did notice that when i removed the cap there was a quick gurgling noise that sounded like it came from the heater core.. i pulled the hoses off of the heater core and flushed it both ways earlier tonight.. and now i have lots of heat.. but i didn't notice any debris of any kind come out of the heater core when i flushed it.. anyway just trying to figure out a way to stop this problem from repeating itself over and over again.. any ideas would be greatly appreciated THX

Old 02-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Chadoo951 is an unknown quantity at this point

Alright guys, hahaha another noob question.

My heater does not work either, but does blow air. Just cold air.

Where are the hoses that I have to get to, to flush the heater core?
Pictures maybe?
and all I do is just put the garden hose to it, and just flush it with water both ways right?
Hopefully this will help me Not freeze in 40 degree weather in the morning

Thanks
Chad

Old 02-02-2008, 07:48 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Chad,
Try running a search as I'm sure that pictures have been posted before. If you find the two hoses where they go into the firewall and follow them forward, you'll see what you need to remove.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:39 PM

Alright guys. So I went and looked around.
And found the two hoses that go into the fireway
(see Picture)

I followed those hoses and found, this one, near the air conditioning compressor
(see picture)

And this one, down towrds the base of the thorotle cables
(see picture)

lol, and me. Being stupid with cars. and just plain lacking comon sence. went out there, jumped the gun
and went on ahead and just yanked one of the hoses out (the one by the compressor)
and it SPEWED hot radiator fluid pretty bad. Bad enough to hit the bottom of the hood with it open.
hahaha

Well I just got done cleaning up that mess. and Was just woundering if those were the right hoses.

Ohhh. and also, when I am flushing it with the garden hose. Do I just point the oposite hose that I am running water through to
the ground and just let it pour all on the ground, then re-attach the hoses, and thats it?

Old 02-02-2008, 10:14 PM

Alright guys. I flushed through both of those lines, and now my heater works again.
You guys should have seen what came out. hahaha

Oh, and Just one last question, When I stop at a light, with my heater going. It gets cold.
But then, once the RPM's are back up, it gets hot again. Is this normal for this
Truck? Or should it be staying warm the whole time?

I think that I am going to look into another radiator flush, Because obviously,
the didnt do a good enough job to clear the heater core. ( I think that they are connected to eachother)

Lol, But i will start, or add onto an appropriate radiator flush thread

Old 02-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Starting Member
dBsound is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you sure that you're completely full of coolant? When it's low, they'll do that...only get warm with RPMs.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:21 PM

I Have no clue about how much coolant there is in there.
I am about to go to another heater core flush, because I feel that I
didn't do it well enough the first time. Then I was going to put more water
Inside the radiator after I was done

But I was actually reading up on the forum here, I heard of doing a block fush.
Kind of like a heater core flush I am guessing. Except to to the heater core
flush I take the end of the hoses that conect through the block and flush wather into the
heater core.

My question is, if I were to do a block flush, Would I just take the end of the heater core
hose, thats closest to the firewall, and flush water through the block and out the other end
of the hose? Just like doing a heater core flush, except the water is going through the
block? Or is there other precautions that I have to undergo before doing a block flush?

Because I noticed that there was alot of gunk inside the hole where I took off the
hoses at the block. Which made me want to do the block flush in the first place.

Thanks Guys. You are really awesome.
Chad