2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Removing muffler

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 12:07 AM
djanvier is on a distinguished road
Default Removing muffler

Hey guys...I'm new here so idk if this is the right place to post this but worth a shot i guess. I have a 96 blazer 2 door 4x4, The tail pipe broke off so i had to take it off and now i have another muffler, my question is that how could i get it off the other blazer? Im mechanically inclined but i've been told i have to drop the rear differential in order to take off the muffler with the tail pipe, some have said i could take it off without touching the rear end. I know there is a DIY thread but it has no pictures so can't really understand it.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:05 PM

41 views come on ppl...help a brother out

Old 10-23-2012, 05:03 PM
Beginning Member
ooo.patrick is on a distinguished road

I have a 98 blazer and I did my exhaust myself. I don't see any issues with taking it off without touching anything else, you will probably have to cut in between the muffler and the catalytic converter because my bolts that detach in the middle were rusted together.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:34 PM

Oh okay...Guess ill give it a shot once the snow melts a bit...lol

Old 10-23-2012, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Patience is your friend!! Consecutive posts is against forum rules. Give people time before you jump on those who have looked and not responded. The answer to your question tho is yes it will come off with a bit of wiggling and the higher you can get the rear for more angle the better.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:34 PM
Starting Member
kenny100034 is on a distinguished road

Are you having to keep everything in tact? I have a four door but just cut my muffler right out released my tailpipe from the hangars and after some wiggling and patience pulled that right out. Put my new 40 series on snaked the tailpipe back in and bolted everything back together. Bout 1 hour of labor another hour of finding the tools I needed/wanted in the foreign to me garage.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Beginning Member
AKJeff64 is on a distinguished road
Default Muffler...

I just finished replacing the CAT, muffler, and tailpipe on my 98. I was able to take the muffler and tailpipe off as one unit, might have to work at it, but it will come off. The CAT took a lot more shoving and twisting to get out. It looks like it will come out towards the rear, but it won't, and you have to force it out the front. The new one slid in a lot easier..have fun!

Old 10-24-2012, 02:02 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road
Default Exactly

Originally Posted by AKJeff64
I just finished replacing the CAT, muffler, and tailpipe on my 98. I was able to take the muffler and tailpipe off as one unit, might have to work at it, but it will come off. The CAT took a lot more shoving and twisting to get out. It looks like it will come out towards the rear, but it won't, and you have to force it out the front. The new one slid in a lot easier..have fun!
I unbolted the muffler from the cat and undid the clamp holding the muffler up to the frame.After some turning and twisting it came right out.For some reason on my Jimmy it has a realy short tail pipe.It bendsover the rear axle and then dumped out from there.