2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Replacing cross-over / catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 09:53 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road
Default Replacing cross-over / catalytic converter

In the process of replacing the cross-over / catalytic converter pipe on my '02 4dr 4wd....what a PITA this is!!!

I finally determined that the only way to get the assembly out was to lift the body off the frame. Well...that was not going to happen, so out came the Sawzall....and that took care of getting the old orignal one out....but now....need to get the new one piece assembly back in.

Also managed to bend one of the downpipe studs in the right side exhaust manifold...and of course it is the one that I cannot get a shot of oil on the top side of the threads..%&*!.

So working on either trying to straighten it or remove/replace it.

Any hints on how to get the new cross-over/catalytic converter pipe assembly in?

Thanks.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:28 AM
ckroll98 is on a distinguished road

I'm in the same boat. Mine is all banged up from off-roading so it needs to be replaced soon. I'm following this thread for advice. Good luck.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:23 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Correction to the first posting.....there are three ways to get the original cross-over/catalytic converter out.....1) lift the body off the frame, 2) cut the assembly into small pieces, or 3) drop the right side of the transmission crossmember down enough and raise the Blazer's front end.

I got the replacement assembly in by having the front end raised, jack stands on the frame.
Placed a jack under the transfer case.
Loosen but do not remove the left side transmission crossmember bolts.
Remove the right side crossmember bolts.
Remove the tranmission mount lower nuts.

The crossmember comes down just enough to get the new cross-over / catalytic converter assembly slid in from the front and up almost into position.
I left the O2 sensors out so as to avoid damage until this point.
Put the crossmember back into place, tighten all bolts.

Put the new or old O2 sensors in and then connect assembly to the exhaust manifolds and muffler.

I spent alot of time trying to get the original assembly off. The right side flange that bolts to the exhaust manifold was jammed-up on the three studs and I had to drive the flange off using a piece of pipe from topside and also through the right wheel well. I also ran a die on the six studs (M10x1.5) and will get new flange nuts as the old ones are very rusty.

I also had to use an air impact wrench to get the six exhaust flange nuts off, even after applying oil to threads 2 hours prior. Impact wrench took them right off (15mm socket).

There are replacement cross-over / catalytic converters that come in two pieces. I am sure these would be a bit easier to install. But I think the transmission crossmember would still need to be dropped down.

Good luck to anyone that attempts this.