2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Require Help w/ ABS deactivation.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Starting Member
Katmandu is on a distinguished road
Question

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
i'll take a peak @ my truck tomorrow morning, see if i can remember which plug it was, see if it'll do the trick on this 2nd gen of mine.

i'll let you know.
What did you find out ?

I need to deactivate the ABS on my 98 as well.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:00 AM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by Katmandu
What did you find out ?

Why? Having problems with it? Wy not diagnose and fix it?

Old 05-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Starting Member
Arrow

Originally Posted by midnightbluS10
Why? Having problems with it? Wy not diagnose and fix it?
It's a backup vehicle that isn't driven a whole lot. It simply don't have the time now to pull the wheels and clean the rust of the ABS rings on the hubs.

I would rather deactivate it until I get the time to do the fix.

Which plug deactivates the ABS ?

TIA.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:13 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

What did you find out ?

well..........from what i saw yesterday moring, there 2nd gen systems are totally different from the one in my '92 (go figure! ).

i can't see any visable plugs to unplug on the ABS module, and anything i unplugged in the relay/fuse panels didn't shut off the dash light.

while i didn't have time last night to look deep into that coner of the truck, i might later today.

if i find anything, i'll let everyone know.

as for why my dash light is on, i have a bad left hub, and i HATE ABS when i'm towing. plus, in general, it's caused me more hassle than it's worth.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Dabber is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm with you Old Skool. Nothin wrong with my ABS but I just hate having it(always have on all my vehicles) I'd rather have control of my trucks braking. If I have to lock them up for whatever reason then i can. I hate that shudder when the ABS kicks in, sounds like the truck is gonna fall apart. If there is a way to deactivate it then i will. As for the dash light I would assume if you can get the dash cluster out you should be able to take the bulb out. Let me know what you find out.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:42 PM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

It's a backup vehicle that isn't driven a whole lot. It simply don't have the time now to pull the wheels and clean the rust of the ABS rings on the hubs.

I would rather deactivate it until I get the time to do the fix.

Which plug deactivates the ABS ?

TIA.

Once again....pull the ABS relay in the engine compartment fuse box. That will disable the ABS system.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:25 PM
JimmyRiggin is on a distinguished road

Just to clarify, this thread is for people who DO NOT want ABS on their vehicle, for any reason. We are not attempting to fix the ABS system in this thread, we are attempting to safely deactivate it. Thanks.

After more analysis of the ABS system on my 96' and, (from the links in my previous post on page 1) I have determined the following.

It is not worth your time to pull any fuse/relay, or to unplug the 4WAL control unit/PCM input, this will only result in other components not working on the vehicle, and the ABS light will remain on in your dash.

If you don't want ABS, but you want to employ a safe reliable method that will not affect anything else on your vehicle, just leave the system in fault mode by unplugging any one of the ABS sensors (wheel speed sensors,VSS,ect) that feed the 4WAL/PCM (and taping/securing them after) This way your ABS will not activate under any circumstances, but more importantly, everything else will continue to work fine. The ABS system will not activate if any of these key sensors are unplugged.

In my opinion this is by far the easiest and least time consuming way to defeat the system on these 4WAL units, without any major surgery.

As far as getting the ABS light in the dash to go out.... there are a couple methods that have already been mentioned... Both methods are incredibly annoying, but one method is just not worth your time. It would take far to much effort to try and cut/repair the (2) wires in circuit that feed power to the bulb in your dash (from the 4WAL and PCM). So, basically the easiest way is to go in the dash behind the gauge cluster and deal with the bulb itself. I will be attempting this in the coming week, and will post some info soon.

Anyone experiencing any ABS issues on these systems remember this....
It is far better (and safer) to have an ABS system in fault mode (because of an unplugged wheel speed sensor) than to have the ABS system malfunctioning and intermittently cutting in and out because you attempted to repair the system and it is possibly getting an erratic or intermittent signal. If you know an ABS related sensor is unplugged and taped off, you know the ABS system will not activate under any circumstances.

-and BTW think we all know that ABS is for little old ladies that have little driving knowledge anyway.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:34 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JimmyRiggin
It is not worth your time to pull any fuse/relay, or to unplug the 4WAL control unit/PCM input, this will only result in other components not working on the vehicle, and the ABS light will remain on in your dash.

and that last part is the issue i'm personally trying to get rid of. plus i already knew about it being a bad idea to just pull the fuse/relay.

i have another cluster that i was checking out, and while i could just use brute force & ignorance to get it apart, i'd like to know the proper way to get inside that back of it to disable/pull that light for the ABS warning.

like i said up above, i have a bad left hub, and would rather not have working ABS.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:51 PM
Starting Member
Exclamation

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
like i said up above, i have a bad left hub, and would rather not have working ABS.
Did you read this below ???

This is what I'll be doing when I get the time.

If you don't want ABS, but you want to employ a safe reliable method that will not affect anything else on your vehicle, just leave the system in fault mode by unplugging any one of the ABS sensors (wheel speed sensors,VSS,ect) that feed the 4WAL/PCM (and taping/securing them after).

This way your ABS will not activate under any circumstances, but more importantly, everything else will continue to work fine. The ABS system will not activate if any of these key sensors are unplugged.
I'll get a piece of electrical tape to place over the ABS light on the cluster. When I get more time, I may even pull the bulb complete out.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:49 AM
BF Guru

I'll get a piece of electrical tape to place over the ABS light on the cluster. When I get more time, I may even pull the bulb complete out.
but that's the problem brother, there is no bulb to pull out on these 2nd gen's-@ least not on my year of truck. and i'd rather have that amber ABS light shining, than see a piece of electrical tape on my cluster.

and i did read it Katman. but like i said, i'm already ahead of the disabling game, since my hub is crap.

Quick Reply: Require Help w/ ABS deactivation.