2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Reverse lights stopped working.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 11:33 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

The backup camera has a signal wire that runs from the driver side back up light harness to the head unit and a wire the powers the camera itself. They are both disconnected right now.I'll check the voltage at the fuse tonight. I removed the wiring from the mirror a while ago because I removed that system years ago.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:27 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Also check if either the camera power wire or the camera signal wire have 12 volts on them.

George

Old 05-01-2018, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
Also check if either the camera power wire or the camera signal wire have 12 volts on them.

George
I could check them, but right now they are not hooked up to anything besides the head unit and the lights are still coming on.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:07 PM

I am guessing that my issue is somewhere in here, which is good because it is a fairly simple set up. I just have to find where in here that the issue is.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:16 PM
BF Veteran

All of my suggestions came from that exact diagram. If your hot on lt green at the fuse block with both fuses pulled then you just need to find the short to power. . If you are not finding it then cut north of s309/check then cut right of s309/check, the both tail light legs one at a time. Its almost certainly going to have something to do with the camera install or the mirror modification. leave tails on both sides of the cuts and solder/protect to rejoin.

George

Old 05-01-2018, 08:24 PM

The mirror wires are up in the headliner, I placed them up there after the mirror fell off, I just never plugged it back in. I might test for voltage there first.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:17 PM
BF Veteran

When you get into the headliner wiring look for the brown power wire to the mirror to be shorted to the lt green wire back to the back up lights. You can test this first by pulling fuse HVAC1, #21, 10A and see if the back up lights go out. If so then you need to go into the headliner.

George

Old 05-02-2018, 04:15 PM

I need to try your suggestion with the brown wire. I took the day off work because I feel pretty miserable but I decided to mess with it anyway since it was nice out. I completely disconnected the back up camera and signal wire to the head unit, no change. I tested the light green wire and the black wire at the mirror and got 12.6 volts. When I touched them together the backup lights turned off for a few minutes. I pulled the B/U LP, the VEH B/U, & the TRL B/U fuses and they stayed on. I did disconnect the tail light from the harness at the back corner and they turned off, which I expected.

from what I can gather my issue is somewhere inside this red box

Also, and this has been going on for almost as long, the rear hatch glass will randomly unlock itself, and now the alarm has been randomly going off every couple of minutes. I had to disconnect the battery.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:28 PM

I pulled the HVAC1 fuse and I was still getting 12 volts at the black and light green wires at the mirror. I had to take the back up lights out so they don't kill my battery.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:21 PM
BF Veteran

You may have to start cutting wires to find the section of the lt green wire that has a short to 12v. The most logical place to start would be right after the lt green wire leaves the fuse box because statistically thats the location given the raw number of 12v wires and fuses. If you can isolate it and want to try that leave enough on each end to reconnect (solder). Another approach is to pull and replace each fuse until the back up lights go out, that way at least we know which circuit is supplying the short. Since you have other random problems, this may all be happening at the same wire bundle or fuse location.

George

Quick Reply: Reverse lights stopped working.