2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Reviving a '97 LS

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Beginning Member
athens is on a distinguished road
Default Reviving a '97 LS

Hello everyone,

I've had a 97' Blazer LS that's gotten in pretty bad shape while I've been away at college, and I'm making this topic to document all the issues I need to address. I want to get some opinions on how bad of shape it looks to be in to help me determine if its practical to repair. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I'm going to edit this with any threads I use for information. I'll have access to a scanner tool in about a week. My knowledge about cars is fairly limited, so I'll be learning as I fix this.

The to-do list:
-Cranks but won't start. Worked last month fine. Battery?
-ABS does not disengage after start up. Used to until I would start moving, then reengage before I could get above 5mph. (Reference link)
-Driver side door has issue with the wiring/switch in door that turns on/off interior lights. Killed 2 batteries already. Replaced the switch already.
-Underside has a fair amount of rust. (Reference thread)
-Rear windshield wiper will engage but not move upward.
-Need to do a tune-up (spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor) (Reference link)
-Need to replace serpentine belt, replace air filter
-While running, smell something sweet-ish while in car.

Photos: Rear underside, under the hood

Old 12-14-2009, 12:42 PM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

The sweetish smell is probably anti-freeze from a bad heater core.

Take the rear wiper motor assembly apart and lubricate it. That should fix it.

Last edited by 96Blazernut; 12-14-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:51 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Your ABS problem sounds like bad wheel speed sensors. They are fairly common for going and cause a false reading to be send to the ABS control module causing the ABS to falsely engage. Pulling the ABS fuse (60amp in the fuse box under the hood) will fix the problem temporarily for you until you can properly diagnose the problem. Note that this will put your ABS out of service and throw on your ABS and brake warning light.
Have a look at the wheel speed sensors and the wiring leading into them. Judging by the rust on the rest of the truck I'm assuming the sensor and surrounding parts will also be very rusty.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:23 AM
Beginning Member

Where exactly is this 60amp? This isn't in the instrument panel fuse block adjacent to the door jamb, right?

Old 12-21-2009, 09:27 AM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

The fuse will be in the drivers side fuse box by the dash. Sisk is thinking about the 98+ that have an underhood fuse box.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:38 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 96Blazernut
The fuse will be in the drivers side fuse box by the dash. Sisk is thinking about the 98+ that have an underhood fuse box.
Whoops. Sorry, forgot about that. You're right

Old 12-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Beginning Member

Hey thanks guys,

Ok so I pulled the fuse for it, drove it around abit...the abs is off (light is on), but the speedo is still stuck at 0 and the car doesn't want to accelerate past a certain speed regardless of accelerator pressure. Think the VSS may be faulty aswell?

Edit: After driving it long enough I felt it shift or something and the vehicle accelerated (even with the speed reading 0 still).

Old 12-21-2009, 01:41 PM
giod is an unknown quantity at this point

On the driver door not shutting off the lights:
Which switch did you replace? If it was the doorjam switch that may have been useless.
In my blazer(99) the door jam switch isn't even hooked up. A switch connected to the door handle controls the lights (the switch itself is in the door lock mechanism).

Do 97's have a dome light override switch (to the left of the steering wheel)? If so just hit that to kill the lights (I had to do it for a year or so cause my switch was broke).