2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rislone or Lucas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Bar's Tech Support is on a distinguished road

Hello ComputerNerdBD,

Hey everyone. We're Bar's Products, makers of Bar's Leaks and Rislone. We noticed this thread with some great question regarding Rislone Engine Treatment and thought we'd chime in with some answers to ComputerNerdBD questions.

1. Which is better for making the engine last as long as possible? Lucas or Rislone? If Lucas, should I be using the synthetic version since this truck sees alot of cold weather? We do not commment on other companies but do on our products. Rislone has helped millions of customers since 1921 to protect and keep their engines clean and running great. it is compatible with all petroleum based oil including conventional, High Mileage & synthetics.

2. Is Rislone like Seafoam (also never used before) where it is bad to leave it in the oil for an extended period of time or I might spin a bearing? Rislone is designed to remain in the engine for up to 5,000 miles. It will not harm bearings.

3. Will Rislone get rid of the lifter tick on startup? Yes Rislone can help with lifter noise.

4. I usually change the oil every 2500-3000 miles (max). With the Rislone, should I change it more often? No.

5. Do I have good taste in terms of brands of oil and filters? Yes.

6. For those of you who have used Rislone before, is there any other information I should know before I buy it and put it in my engine? I would encourage you and others with questions or comments to utilize our website www.barsproducts.com for any questions / comments on our Rislone or Bar's Leaks products, You can contact us on this site and we will respond.

Thanks,
Bar's Tech Support

Old 11-10-2010, 02:24 PM
terry s is on a distinguished road

I have used Rislone and other Bars Leak products many times over the last 45 years and I have had very good luck with them.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Beginning Member
BLOND1WD is an unknown quantity at this point

A late reply....but hopefully informative; A WIX filter rep (NAPA GOLD are wix) was down at my store last summer and actually cut open an AC Delco oil filter as well as a Fram. Exactly the same insides. I was shocked. I use only WIX at this point.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:02 PM
dman001948 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2000 LT 4x4 Blazer with 104K on it. I call it my Harley, for it leaks oil (The good old oil lines that are famous for leaking on these type vechiles) if I don't see any leaks, then I better check my oil I might low or out!!! hahahahahahaha...No I really do change every 3 to 5k. If I change a 3k I don't do the filter, at 5k I change both. Even though it leaks I have never yet had to put a drop in between changes and I'm the 2nd owner, bought it in 2002. Now don't ask me about the other parts we would be here all night.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Beginning Member
lynnboy021 is on a distinguished road

what about the other parts???? lol

Old 02-16-2011, 03:03 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

Holy Crap. AC Delco = FRAM?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I cannot believe it. I am going to try to cut this one open next time I change the oil. I already have a Purolator PureONE and that is going on there next oil change. I can't believe GM would sink to that level.

I already had both sets of oil cooler lines replaced, yet it still leaks. I think it is the oil pan gasket, but I very rarely have to add oil. In fact, I changed the oil about 1500 miles ago and it isn't losing any that I can see. It is still right at the FULL mark.

What about the other parts? LOL JK.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:11 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Exactly!

Old 02-16-2011, 06:56 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't take one person's word that AC Delco=Fram, rather do your own research.

Here are links to two pages that 'started it all' with filter investigations:

Oil Filters Revealed
Reference Filter

I wouldn't trust what one filter rep says about another filter company, especially if they're trying to sell you their own brand.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:27 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TripleBlackBlazer
I wouldn't take one person's word that AC Delco=Fram, rather do your own research.

Here are links to two pages that 'started it all' with filter investigations:

Oil Filters Revealed
Reference Filter

I wouldn't trust what one filter rep says about another filter company, especially if they're trying to sell you their own brand.
I understand the importance of doing my own research (and I will do that since I always use a quality filter in everything that needs a filter. If I am having something done professionally, I will bring good filters to the shop.), but AC Delco doesn't make their own filters, right? They can change suppliers. They could be doing cost cutting and they switched suppliers because of saving a nickel per filter?

Old 02-16-2011, 08:00 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Did you read the links I posted? Most companies DON'T make their own filters. They order from the same few manufacturers and have their own logo/paint/whatever on them. I even found a link that substantiates that Mobil 1, Royal Purple, and K&N are the same filter with small differences in filter material and outside casing.

Very similar to gas companies. Most companies buy their gas from the same suppliers and ship it to their franchises.

Quick Reply: Rislone or Lucas?