2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Runs perfect then won't start, then runs perfect

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 01:06 PM
Beginning Member
barnesto is on a distinguished road

I will look for the Ignition module as per your photo you attached.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:45 PM
Beginning Member

Here is what I'm seeing on my engine. The first is a shot from the left side of the engine with the coil, the other photo is from the right side, I've noted with arrows, what might be the ignition module.

Attached Thumbnails Runs perfect then won't start, then runs perfect-photo-3.jpg   Runs perfect then won't start, then runs perfect-photo-4.jpg  
Old 06-09-2014, 02:10 PM
Beginning Member

Lighter version of the right side, not sure how this displays on your computer so I lightened this up so you could see a bit more in the photo

Attached Thumbnails Runs perfect then won't start, then runs perfect-photo-4.jpg  
Old 06-09-2014, 02:45 PM
Beginning Member

Wasn't sure if what I sent earlier would display the photo. This is what I installed into the distributor a year or so ago, and on the net this is what I'm getting saying it's the ignition control module for the '95 94 S10 Blazer, but as you said, there were three different versions during this year. I think I paid around $50 for the module. i think I put the lube on the bottom, had a friend ask me if I did, but it was so long (a year) I can't remember. Would that be a problem if this is the ignition module inside the distributor? Could I un-install it and lube it now or would not having the lube kill the module?

Attached Thumbnails Runs perfect then won't start, then runs perfect-large.jpg  
Old 06-09-2014, 03:52 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The image in post #24 is an ignition control module for HEI ignition systems used in early production 1995, (and older) and have the OBDI connector under the dash. The module is mounted inside the distributor. Mid and late production 1995 have EDI ignition systems and use the module in post #18, mounted next to the ignition coil, and have the OBDII connector under the dash.

Your ignition coil appears to be attached with wire, (didn't come from the factory like that). This might be an indication that somewhere along the line, someone replaced the engine and "re-engineered" things a bit That's not surprising due to the confussion of using 3 different systems, (one of the reasons Oldsmobile did not produce the Bravada in 1995). Hard to say what you have there now Here is a link for diagnosing HEI ignition: Part 1 -GM Distributor Mounted Ignition Module (ICM) Test.

EDIT: In the image with the arrows, that is the MAP sensor.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 06-09-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:38 PM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

Im having a similar issue, wont start sometimes and will sometimes die at idle directly after start up. But when it wont start my dash lights also wont come on. i replaced the ignition control module and that didnt help. So with that i suspect its my ignition switch. along with no start condition sometimes my key wont come out of the ignition.

I wonder if you could be having a problem with the ignition switch as well? If you dont have spark and the coil/ignition module turn out to be ok i would start looking at the ignition switch. However im not sure if your 95 uses the same ignition switch as my 97 but i know from 96+ its a fairly common problem. Ive heard its because of the lac of insulation and they get too hot. Which would make sense if the problem only occurs after you have been driving for a while (same story with mine)

Hope this helps

Old 06-09-2014, 07:09 PM
Beginning Member

Captain,

I just put in the new coil and I had to grind off the rivets that held the coil, put in the new coil and it came with two brackets and two bolts and nuts. I put the wire around the top part to hold. Wasn't sure if it needed bolts and nuts to function.

Also I just had the ignition module tested at AutoZone and they said it was fine.

They also said it might be something with the cranck module. Not sure if this version has one but I will check that next.

Also...with your thread, the OBD...This model has the OBDII as per your photo you sent in our first thread. Do I have a freak car that GM just threw out with all kinds of issues....lol

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by barnesto; 06-09-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:36 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The coil does not need to be grounded, as long as it's firmly mounted, it should be fine.

The module testers that the auto parts stores have don't always catch intermittent problems, so the module can't be ruled out just yet

"Crank module"... On EDI systems, spark pulse initiates at the crankshaft position sensor. HEI spark pulse is initiated inside the distributor at the pick up coil, and it does not have a crankshaft position sensor.

"Do I have a freak car that GM just threw out with all kinds of issues....lol"
More than likely it became "freaky" at the hands of someone else after GM built it The OBDII connector means the DTC's are 5 character codes, ie P0300, etc. It should have a crankshaft position sensor next to the dampener, and a camshaft position sensor in the distributor. It's quite possible that the distributor and ignition system were changed to HEI, for whatever reason. Or, the entire engine was changed, which would entail a ton of work, but not impossible to do. With 3 different engine possibilities, it could be tough finding the correct one. Back in post #4 you mentioned the scan tool showed nothing.... that might be due to work that was done while changing things over, or just the wrong software in the scan tool. Who knows, maybe the OBDII connector was replaced, and it should have the OBDI connector... just a thought.

Go through the diagnostics in the link that I included, and see what you come up with.

Just out of curiosity, what is the build date in the driver door jamb?

Old 06-11-2014, 09:59 AM
Beginning Member

Not sure where the dampener is on the Blazer, but if I have a crank position sensor in the distributor would I have one somewhere else? Also, would a bad pick up coil be causing a no start or intermittent start? And...can you check a pick up coil to see if it is good?

Old 06-11-2014, 02:38 PM

EDI has a crankshaft position sensor mounted to the timing cover, next to the crankshaft pulley, (vibration dampener). EDI also uses a camshaft position sensor in the distributor. The ignition module is mounted on the right side rocker arm cover, next to the ignition coil.

HEI does not have a crankshaft position sensor or a camshaft position sensor. The ignition module and the pick up coil are both mounted inside the distributor. Use the link in post #25. It tells how to check the entire HEI system.

The crankshaft position sensor on the EDI engine, does the same thing as the pick up coil on the HEI engine. The difference is that the crankshaft position sensor is newer technology and it is far more accurate.

Quick Reply: Runs perfect then won't start, then runs perfect