2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Safety Belts, Mysterious Buttons, Spare Tire Carrier & DIN Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 05:25 AM
Beginning Member
Crowley is on a distinguished road
Question Safety Belts, Mysterious Buttons, Spare Tire Carrier & DIN Questions

Please bear in mind that I live in Norway, Crowley (The Blazer) is bought and sold here so there is the possiblity for some differences just how many I do not know.

I have included pictures of the rear bench seat belt buckles, my present dash, and the mysterious buttons I've found on both driver and passenger seats. Many thanks for any advice and help in advance.

To SUM things up I'm asking first and foremost about those rear bench buckles, its very important we can access them easily as we have two girls ages 2 years and 10 months. The passenger side is easy enough to get to not a problem but the driver side is very difficult and the outer most one you cannot latch at all.

The DIN - We stumbled on something that looks like it will fit we -think- its an Eclipse AVN2227P double-DIN (http://www.eclipse-web.com/eu/en/avn...overviews.html )

The buttons I am curious if anyone has saw them or possible knows what the heck they are and how they work.

Spare Tire Carrier

I've saw this debate all over the internet, time to ask here and many apologies if it has already been asked.

Can I have a swing arm style rear spare tire carrier on my 4dr 96 LT?

Links would be greatly appreciated!
I ask simply because the spare tire compartment under my Blazer is now become a tank for LPG (Liquefied Propane Gas for those scratching their heads).

Many thanks in advance.

Warmest Regards,
Mea

Attached Thumbnails Safety Belts, Mysterious Buttons, Spare Tire Carrier & DIN Questions-buckles1.jpg   Safety Belts, Mysterious Buttons, Spare Tire Carrier & DIN Questions-buckles2.jpg   Safety Belts, Mysterious Buttons, Spare Tire Carrier & DIN Questions-mysteriousbutton1.jpg   Safety Belts, Mysterious Buttons, Spare Tire Carrier & DIN Questions-mysteriousbutton2.jpg   Safety Belts, Mysterious Buttons, Spare Tire Carrier & DIN Questions-din.jpg  

Last edited by Crowley; 10-11-2010 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Update on Stereo Unit with Link
Old 10-11-2010, 06:26 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

Third picture is the switch to turn on the heated seat. Last picture, seems like max size radio is din in a half. Maybe Kiwi on somebody can answer what are those buttons are in the 4th picture since the blazers over seas came with different options versus the US version.

Last edited by nj4x4blaze; 10-11-2010 at 06:28 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:33 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by nj4x4blaze
Third picture is the switch to turn on the heated seat. Last picture, seems like max size radio is din in a half. Maybe Kiwi on somebody can answer what are those buttons are in the 4th picture since the blazers over seas came with different options versus the US version.
We had thought heated seats, interesting indeed I'll have to try this as for the side switches above the seat controls I believe that turns it the seat heaters on and off is my guess as my husband was playing with the dial in the front with no results the other switches below I know are for tilt, forward backwards, up down etc for the seat (power seats are so nice). ANy clue how to get at those buckles? and if a swing arm spare tire carrier would be a go on this? I really appreciate you taking the time out to answer some of my questions

Old 10-11-2010, 06:40 AM

Spare tire carrier, you can install. There is a memeber here that has installed it on his 4dr blazer his name is Benedict1337. As for the buckles Im not really sure, the one on my truck move fowards and backwards when I tilt the seats forward. Check and see if the buckles even move.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/benedicts-blazer-45387/

Last edited by nj4x4blaze; 10-11-2010 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:40 AM
dman001948 is an unknown quantity at this point

Speaking about the seat buttons: One is as stated prior. The other one is a lubar support and the other two would be to adjust the seat ie, back forward and up and down.
For the back seat belts, Have you tried to look underneath the seat and see if there is some slack there so you can pull the straps up a little. Sometimes with little or no use, they will go down. I know I don't use my straps in the back seats and when I bought the truck 8 yrs ago I could get to and use the seat belts with no problems. Now its like where are they...Folding the seats up and down made that part of the seat belts to drop down.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:39 AM
Beginning Member

Spare tire carrier, you can install. There is a memeber here that has installed it on his 4dr blazer his name is Benedict1337. As for the buckles Im not really sure, the one on my truck move fowards and backwards when I tilt the seats forward. Check and see if the buckles even move.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45387
THanks for the link, I even had a suggestion to help with visibility that I stumbled on while looking for any information on a spare tire carrier. its a simple plate that helps you adjust the height without blocking the window and the license plate (much) as in it should be still street legal I know how US can be a real stickler about the plates visiblity. (had a nice 75.00 fine for have a clear blue protector on mine)

As for the belts I needed to clarify that after seeing a couple posts. The Belts aren't on a fabric belt (that is the fastner isn't) otherwise I would have pulled them up thru by now. Its on a "U-bracket" solid metal mounted to the frame. I took some better pictures (now in sunlight! makes a difference) I'm including them in the next post. I just don't believe Chevy would be asinine enough to make the seat belts so shoddy in the rear :P I grew up around Chevies so I'm just wondering if I'm over-looking something obvious.

Originally Posted by dman001948
Speaking about the seat buttons: One is as stated prior. The other one is a lubar support and the other two would be to adjust the seat ie, back forward and up and down.
For the back seat belts, Have you tried to look underneath the seat and see if there is some slack there so you can pull the straps up a little. Sometimes with little or no use, they will go down. I know I don't use my straps in the back seats and when I bought the truck 8 yrs ago I could get to and use the seat belts with no problems. Now its like where are they...Folding the seats up and down made that part of the seat belts to drop down.
Thanks for the further regard on the buttons (I already knew what the 3 combo at the bottom were ) but thank you anyrate I really appreciate that.

As for the belts, no go they are not on fabric belts as you find commonly on the bench seats in any of the 1500 and 2500 series these bloody things are mounted with a "u-bracket" solid metal bolted. I will be including better pictures of them in the next update post here

I just wonder if I am over-looking something obvious but there is no way to slide or adjust the seat forward or back as far as I can see and the buckles are solid. I highly doubt Chevy would be so careless to build it in such a fashion. If I didn't really use the backseat I wouldn't care :P but my two girls sit back there in their car seat so its very important they are easily accessible and working properly (no to the first but yes to the second)

OK I made the silly mistake of taking the pictures late at night (not enough light) so I retook the pictures of the buckles themselves. If they were fabric I would have already ganked them up thru. I can remember them on the old 79 Cheyenne we had when I was little at any rate I highly doubt Chevy was asinine to make a shoddy build so what am I over-looking? or should I be poking Chevy in the side and asking them to fix it now.

(I can't reach these two but you can see in one of the pictures the passenger side is accessed without a problem.)

Like I said if I could actually pull them up thru the seat, I would! But metal doesn't like to budge so easily, maybe a 3-pound hammer? (just Kidding)

Attached Thumbnails Safety Belts, Mysterious Buttons, Spare Tire Carrier & DIN Questions-bl1.jpg   Safety Belts, Mysterious Buttons, Spare Tire Carrier & DIN Questions-bl2.jpg   Safety Belts, Mysterious Buttons, Spare Tire Carrier & DIN Questions-bl3.jpg   Safety Belts, Mysterious Buttons, Spare Tire Carrier & DIN Questions-bl4.jpg   Safety Belts, Mysterious Buttons, Spare Tire Carrier & DIN Questions-buckles1.jpg  

Last edited by TripleBlackBlazer; 10-11-2010 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts. Please use the EDIT function if no one has replied to your last post. Please use the MULTIQUOTE function to reply to multiple members. PM with questions.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:12 AM

Maybe these seats aren't original to this truck. Could be from a newer version and they just swapped the seats. Might explain why the seat belt buckles aren't exposed.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:24 AM
Beginning Member

That is a good possiblity however, on the same note I should perhaps mention that Crowley was orginally purchased and run on Green plates by formal owner. This means they kept the back bench tucked down and held down with a bolted in divider. Its common over here to either remove the back seat or have it made inaccessible while its run on Green plates (makes it more affordable if you do especially if you purchase it new off the lot) Maybe just being tucked down for so long did this as well? I wonder if there aren't extensions available? or? I'm seriously considering calling GM and seeing what can be done about this if not taking to the dealer and asking them to please fix it.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:41 PM
bulwaagh is on a distinguished road

Third picture is the switch to turn on the heated seat. Last picture, seems like max size radio is din in a half.
Yeah, DIN and a half. For some reason GM made some really unusual decisions in that timeframe regarding head-units. Makes it a difficult to get a nice modern head-unit without going flip-screen (if that is your thing) or have a questionable quality plastic part to cover up the rest. I just wanted an aftermarket head-unit that filled up the factory space. If their site isn't blocked from overseas (I cannot imagine why it would be), use the Outfit my Car from Crutchfield. I use them to see which models fit my vehicles then shop accordingly based off price and local availability.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:46 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by bulwaagh
Yeah, DIN and a half. For some reason GM made some really unusual decisions in that timeframe regarding head-units. Makes it a difficult to get a nice modern head-unit without going flip-screen (if that is your thing) or have a questionable quality plastic part to cover up the rest. I just wanted an aftermarket head-unit that filled up the factory space. If their site isn't blocked from overseas (I cannot imagine why it would be), use the Outfit my Car from Crutchfield. I use them to see which models fit my vehicles then shop accordingly based off price and local availability.
Thanks! I appreciate your input. I've already invaded crutchfield (amazing for a girl no?) I also have been haunting JCWhitney I think I might save up for a double din to be installed professionally someday until then I'll enjoy the use of the Garmin GPS for those long trips The aftermarket that is in Crowley now isn't bad at all, its quite impressive actually, Sony. They did the Din and a half with the Pontiacs too its VERY annoying of them :P but we'll live right? Again many thanks

Quick Reply: Safety Belts, Mysterious Buttons, Spare Tire Carrier & DIN Questions