2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

screetching while turning

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 12:10 PM
scubacamper is on a distinguished road
Default screetching while turning

1999 blazer 2-door 4wd ls (4.3)

This past weekend, I was coming down a mountain (brakes were a bit hot). I had the windows down and everytime I turned to the left, the left front wheel gave a terrible screeching sound...as if the dustcover was rubbing on the rotor (?). The same thing would happen to the right wheel as I turned to the right.

Then, after I got to the bottom of the mountain and was driving a while (giving time for brakes too cool), I noticed the screetching had gone away. I'm puzzled; any idea what this might be and/or where to start, as far as repairs go?

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

check your brake pads. its more than likely the wear indicators making noise letting you know that you need new ones. just pop off the front wheels and take a look with a flash light. inside pad and outside pad. one might be more wore-out than the other because the caliper pins havent been lubed up properly.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:27 PM

It truly sounded like the warning indicator on the brakes but then it went away after a while. In addition, the screeching only occurred when turning the wheel, and not necessarily during braking....(?)

Old 05-01-2013, 10:09 PM
4X4GS10B is on a distinguished road

Check the brakes,the heat will expand the steel making it tighter,cool down will move things further apart.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:10 PM
liljoejoe54 is on a distinguished road

Not sure if this can be the problem but since it only happens when he turns, is there a chance it can be the wheel bearings? If the turning causes the bad bearings to shift couldnt it screech?

Old 05-01-2013, 10:16 PM

see, that's what I was thinking...(wheel bearings). Brakes doesn't really explain it when it's limited to only happening while turning...

Old 05-01-2013, 10:38 PM
liljoejoe54 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by scubacamper
see, that's what I was thinking...(wheel bearings). Brakes doesn't really explain it when it's limited to only happening while turning...
Its kind of easy to check the bearings. Jack up the front end and grab the wheel, shake it up, down, left, and right. If its loose all around, then your bearings are probably shot.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:20 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

check both. jack up one side and shake it like stated above. and when you are done with that...pull the tire off and check the brakes. then put the tire back on, drive to the store and buy new pads.
just my .02

Old 05-02-2013, 06:17 AM
spittybays

Power steering pump or belt?

Old 05-02-2013, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by spittybays
Power steering pump or belt?

Definitely not - the sound was coming from the wheelwells.

By the way, I'm not sure if it's related and I've posted in another feed but, I'm also getting a pop when turning hard to the left, almost as if something is popping into place (?)

If it's not related, we should ignore it for this feed.

Quick Reply: screetching while turning