2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Secondary Air Injection Pump-Relay/Fuse Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Beginning Member
stormshadow1 is on a distinguished road
Default Secondary Air Injection Pump-Relay/Fuse Issue

Good afternoon all. Well, where do I start? My mech. just put in a Pump 2 months ago and had it replaced under warranty due to failure last week. We did not replace the relay.

Now on the new pump....the SES light came one and the mech. states the fuse blew on the so we replaced the fuse and bam, 1 week later light on again. Now can a relay cause the fuse to blow? And how many fuses are related to this pump? Can a system short some where cause this or could this also be related to the Truck computer? I am at a loss with this pump. I have had the vehicle for 5 years and 3 of those years I have had the SES light on.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:30 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

have u ever had the cose read?? or are u just going on the mechanics word?? if you havent had the code read yet id sayto go and get that done to see what code is being thrown, it might not have anything to do with ur pump/fuses.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Beginning Member

I have not "seen" the code read. He tells me that it is SAP related. I believe that p0140 is SAP related but I am not sure if there is an actual code for a blown fuse. The pump I had put in about a month ago was replaced under warranty (I saw the replaced pump).

The blown fuse is for the new pump(less than 30 days old) and is near the relay. Two blown fuses in 2 weeks. I am not sure if a short could do this. I am tempted to have the pump disconnected, run pump to see if fuse blows. If fuse blows, there is probably a short somewhere. If fuse does not blow, then pump must be causing the fuse to blow. That will be 3 pumps in 15 months. Something is terribbly wrong. I have called dealers in the area and was told all sorts of stories. Relays can casue fuses to blow and relays will not cause a fuse to blow. I am not sure anymore.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:44 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

id say just stop at an autozone or any other parts store and have the code read and repost the code. i just tried looking up ur p0140 code in the DTC section and could not find it.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Beginning Member

Sorry, the code is p0410. I think that is a generic code though and does not narrow the problem to its source ie blown fuse..

Old 04-07-2009, 01:59 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Old 04-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Old 04-07-2009, 02:00 PM

ahh touche' rriddle3 you beat me to it lol.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Beginning Member

Ok, By reading that, which was not fun btw, I take from it that the relay or short may cause fuse to blow. Nice. Now to start from scratch. I am going to by a scan tool and fix this myself if ti kills me lol.

Someone mentioned to me about possibly flashing the computer on the truck as maybe the new pump is not being read correctly. I am not too sure about that one.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Starting Member
truesmack is an unknown quantity at this point

These things are a big problem all around, I have been battling with it for months now. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Secondary Air Injection Pump-Relay/Fuse Issue