2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

security light

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 12:10 PM
buyamerican is an unknown quantity at this point
Default security light

I have a 98 chevy S10, lately it doesnt start right up it just cranks about 6 times then starts. Does this every single time I start it. This has been happening for about 2 weeks just this week the security light is lighting and will not shut off. Took it to a mechanic they couldnt find anything, so they say. Someone mentioned to me something about (spider valves?) not sure? Any ideas?

Old 11-22-2008, 12:27 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: security light

Could be two unrelated issues. First, check and see if it starts up if you put the key in the on position and let the fuel pump prime up. Then try to turn it over. If it works, youve got either a bad FPR or a bad fuel pump. You could also just cut to the chase and do a fuel pressure test.

As for the sercurity light..does it ever light up while driving down the road and just stay lit? Or does it only flash at start up? Also when it flashes at start up, are you still able to start it?

Old 11-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Classic signs of a failing ignition switch.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:10 PM

Thanks everyone for your help and wisdom. I will look into turning the key to the on position and waiting. As for the light it goes on and stays on. I changed the fuel filter and got a tune up so yeah seems it could be the switch or fuel pump. I had a problem with the turning signal_ wipers module the mechanic said the wires were fried and it cost alot to have it replaced, so lets pray!!!

Old 11-25-2008, 02:54 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

When the sercurity light is flashing and it won't start, you have to wait 10 min, but it doesnt matter if the key is in or not. I've always left my key out and it always starts up after exactly 10 min (except for the one time it did it when it was 28* out last winter[:@]...took 2 periods of 10 min)

Old 11-26-2008, 01:10 PM

I did what you said and turned the key to on waited about 10 seconds and it started right up. I will do the fuel test, that is when you take the valve off and turn the key the gas should come out ? Also the light only comes on after it is started or while driving it doesnt do anything to the car but annoy my wife who in turn calls me to tell me about it.lol

Old 11-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You need a fuel pressure gauge to run a fuel pressure test...

Sounds like you have narrowed it down to a faulty ignition switch here. You can run the fuel pressure test if you like, but if it starts after waiting, then the pump is working properly.