2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

security light will not go out after ignition switch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 06:04 PM
nitelife is on a distinguished road
Default security light will not go out after ignition switch replacement

I have a 2001 blazer that had starting issues and the security light was flashing while trying to start the truck. It would start and then shut of almost instantly. The fuel was being cut at the injectors because it had 55psi fuel pressure and would run briefly on starting fluid. So after doing some research, I replaced the ignition switch. After the install I started the relearn procedure by attempting to start the vehicle and then leaving the key in the on position and after 20 minutes the security light was still solid. Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?

Old 03-31-2010, 06:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you are locked out. If the self learn on the passlock system doesn't work, your only alternative is a forced learn with a Tech2 or equivalent scan tool.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:27 PM

Its always something, lol. Time to call my buddy at the dealership for a favor. Thanks for your help!

Old 03-31-2010, 06:40 PM

Well I just went out to try and fool with it one last time for the night and it started right up, even without doing the relearn. However the solid security light is still on, which is exactly what was happening before I replaced the ignition switch. Any ideas?

Old 03-31-2010, 06:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It should start after waiting 5 minutes (or is it 10 minutes...) with the key in the ignition. I bet it won't start the next time though.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:47 PM

Ok, so even though it started, it still needs to be relearned to fix the issue and get rid of the security light? Thanks again for your help!