2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Service Engine Light Came On

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 02:25 PM
mane187 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Service Engine Light Came On

I just bought my 2000 Blazer about a month ago, and its been running great. last night the service engine light came on, but the truck was still running good it had good acceleration and it was handeling well. i know im going to have to take it in to the mechanic to get it serviced. but is there anything i could check my self before spending so much money to get it diagnosed?

~MANE187

Old 12-21-2006, 02:41 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: Service Engine Light Came On

go to your local autozone or similar shop and ask them to hook your truck up to the computer and see what codes you are throwing (this is free). My immediate thought is o2 sensor, but thats just a guess from my past experience.

Old 12-21-2006, 06:45 PM
tammikm is an unknown quantity at this point

good acceleration? did you buy some other kinda blazer that we all don't know about LOL, I didn't know blazers had good acceleration ...

Old 12-21-2006, 09:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have pretty decent acceleration with my Bravada, but the 3.73 gears will do that. Doesn't help at the pump though.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:45 PM
swdockter is an unknown quantity at this point

ya, what hillbilly said. need to start with the codes or you're shootin in the dark. Advanced or Autozone will read them. For some reason, they will not clear them though....???

Old 12-21-2006, 09:55 PM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

If you read the manual before using it will tell you how to clear the codes, but without fixing the issues first they will come back. AutoZone, Checkers, Advanced Auto will all let you use the scaner on site (off site with a deposit). And its just as easy to remove the Pos. cable for 10 min or so to clear the codes as it is to use the scaner.

Old 12-26-2006, 04:52 PM

I did not know Autozone could check the codes espacialy free, I just took it into the shop to get it diagnosed and they havent been able to frigure out whats wrong.
~MANE187

Old 12-26-2006, 04:55 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Did they tell you the code?
Ask them the code and post it and we'll take a shot at diagnosis.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:41 AM

it was the O2 cost me $150 to replace and $200 to diagnose never going to take my cars there anymore!

Old 12-29-2006, 12:51 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

ORIGINAL: hillbillyinOhio

go to your local autozone or similar shop and ask them to hook your truck up to the computer and see what codes you are throwing (this is free). My immediate thought is o2 sensor, but thats just a guess from my past experience.
ORIGINAL: mane187

it was the O2 cost me $150 to replace and $200 to diagnose never going to take my cars there anymore!
To quote Adam Sandler in Billy Madison " I'M THE SMARTEST MAN ALIVE!!!!!!!!"

j/k

Quick Reply: Service Engine Light Came On