2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

SERVICE ENGINE SOON same as Check Engine? '99

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 03:59 PM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SERVICE ENGINE SOON same as Check Engine? '99

Ok, I'm new to these S10 Blazers. The last Blazer I worked on was a 1978 K5 with Manual..everything.

My daughters 'new to her' '99' was coming up on 100K miles and the SERVIVES ENGINE SOON light came on. She's home from college for the weekend and I thought I'd take a look. It's running fine, the AMM is clean and I cleaned it anyway, No foul ( bad Cat Converter) smell so I figured, let me just pull the Battery cable and reset it. Pulled the cable for about 3 minutes and reattached. Started the car and with zero hesitation the Service Engine Soon light was on.
I was thinking that maybe these S10's have a light for Tuneups AND Emission issues??? I think all the Tuneup parts are due to be changed at 100K miles so maybe that's what the light is for.
The bottom line is I cannot find a Reset button for this and pulling the Battery cable didn't help. So what am I missing?
Thanks

Old 12-13-2008, 05:16 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: SERVICE ENGINE SOON same as Check Engine? '99

The names 'Service Engine' and 'Check Engine' lights sometimes get used interchangably. This is not to be confused with the 'Check Gauges' light. The SES light is used to notify about potentially damaging engine problems (severe misfire for example) by a flashing display, and emissions system problems with a steady light. However, it does not notify the driver of routine tune-up intervals.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:44 PM

I saw the Check Gauges light with te ignition in the "ON" position before starting . That's not it. Just this SERVICE ENGINE SOON light that I can't get to shut off..even if only temporary. I don't know why pulling teh Battery cable didn't reset teh Computer.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:55 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

It's 'on' for a reason, do not look upon it as just an annoyance to be turned off. Go to AutoZone, Advance Auto, etc. and they will read the service code for free that it has stored. These codes are diagnostic tools to help determine what needs to be corrected. Let us know what the code is and perhaps we can help with the issue.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:42 PM

I know it's on for a reason. I was trying to determne if the reason was just Service, as in Tuneup. I am learning that it is not. Since I did find a vacuum leak and I did clean the AMM I thought I'd reset it and see.

Auto Zones are not around the corner and getting a New York Clerk to get off his butt to actually help someone is not easy.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:17 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Your post makes me enjoy Raleigh

You can buy a cheap code reader for ~$50.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:04 AM
Byte Stryke is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: WolfPack

Your post makes me enjoy Raleigh

You can buy a cheap code reader for ~$50.
only so long as you don't have an APO address [:@]