2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

SEVERE Coolent leak please help :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 04:38 PM
Beera is on a distinguished road
Default SEVERE Coolent leak please help :(

i have a 2000 chevy blazer (4.3 engine, 4wd). recently i had a severe coolant leak start from the upper driver side of the engine behind what i believe to be the AC compressor? but i cant seem to find exactly where the leak is...i have checked all hoses after letting it leak for a bit to see if they were wet but they are not, it seems way to excessive to be the intake manifold gasket, to high up on the engine to be the water pump please help im completely lost in this, and i really dont want to start ripping things apart that dont have to be.

PS. some photos of the general area are attached

Attached Thumbnails SEVERE Coolent leak please help :(-img_00000064.jpg   SEVERE Coolent leak please help :(-img_00000065.jpg   SEVERE Coolent leak please help :(-img_00000066.jpg   SEVERE Coolent leak please help :(-img_00000067.jpg  
Old 06-24-2012, 04:47 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Have you checked the thermostat housing?
BTW the A/C compressor is in the 3rd pic just right of center & 4th pic upper left corner.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:54 PM

i have and it seems intact (thats the semi rusted metal pipe attached to the block in picture #4?) i can get a video of it if that will help?

Old 06-24-2012, 05:51 PM
BF Veteran

The pipe (bolted to the intake infront of the throttle body) with the hose that goes behind the A/C compressor towards the drivers door hinge then turns & connects to the radiator.
One of the 2 bolts may be loose that hold it down.
I'd wipe everything dry then let it idle up to temp & start wiping things down with a dry paper towel until I find where the leak is.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:59 PM

thats another issue im having it dosnt have to idle up to temp it starts leaking as soon as i start the truck. ill post a short video clip to show you.

VID_00000008.mp4 video by exploitu - Photobucket

Old 06-24-2012, 06:03 PM
BF Veteran

I'd lean towards the intake manifiold gasket if the thermostat housing is dry as well as the upper rad hose.
Maybe try getting a mechanics mirror on a flexable stick, look around & try to spot where it's coming from.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:08 PM

ok will do. thanks a lot for helping me troubleshoot rotti i very much appreciate the help

Old 06-24-2012, 06:18 PM
BF Veteran

Not at all, we all like another opinion or different view at things.
Oh yeah have a flashlight handy. Trust me there are lots of small corners were you'll need it to get a good look. Try shining it on the mirror &/or where you're looking.
Hope it helps.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:41 PM
joey is an unknown quantity at this point

I would clean the area around the suspect leak and check again. All that dirt and dried antifreeze gunk may be hiding the source

Joe

Old 06-24-2012, 07:35 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

I would take it to the car wash & wash it off good. Check any & all hose clamps. On mine I had the upper radiator hose leaking because of a rust build up in the metal housing.
But my guess is as above most likely a lower manifold gasket leak. The ones I have seen leaking either leak in the front or rear corners. If it is that coolant could be leaking into the valley area. That is where thew balance shaft is.

Quick Reply: SEVERE Coolent leak please help :(