2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Should 'Battery' and 'Check Engine' light go out ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 10:57 AM
Beginning Member
EnyChevyUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should 'Battery' and 'Check Engine' light go out ?

Hi, I'm having an issue trying to start my 2001 Blazer. Turns over good, just won't start.
Last night I charged the battery and this morning it started. I kept it ticking over then went for a short drive and then turned the motor off, an hour later it would not start !
When I try and start it , it sounds strong and not like a dud battery.
I've noticed that when I turn the ignition on all the warning lights illuminate as they should, I just want to know if the 'Battery' and 'Check Engine' light should remain on with the ignition on or go out after a few seconds . I ask as both these lights remain on and I don't know if they should go out after a few seconds or just go out when the engine has been started ?
I'm just going to put the battery on charge again and see what happens.
Thanks for any help.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:08 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I believe they go off after a few seconds

Old 11-27-2015, 11:15 AM
Starting Member
Dobe Rottie Gang is on a distinguished road

Sound like your alternator has given up the ghost. Time to replace it.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:19 AM
Beginning Member

One more thing !
What should the voltage reading be on the 'Voltmeter Gage' when just the ignition is on ?
It's indicating 10v - 11v at the moment !

Old 11-27-2015, 01:19 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

battery low, should be 12.5 off and 13.5 running

Old 11-28-2015, 07:42 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Check engine and battery lights will not shut off until the engine is running. Your standing voltage, (key on, engine off) is about right. Should be 14.2 when the engine is running and the battery is fully charged. Might want to check fuel pressure and leakdown first. https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...eakdown-88305/

Old 11-28-2015, 09:06 AM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by EnyChevyUK
Hi, I'm having an issue trying to start my 2001 Blazer. Turns over good, just won't start.
Last night I charged the battery and this morning it started. I kept it ticking over then went for a short drive and then turned the motor off, an hour later it would not start !
When I try and start it , it sounds strong and not like a dud battery.
I've noticed that when I turn the ignition on all the warning lights illuminate as they should, I just want to know if the 'Battery' and 'Check Engine' light should remain on with the ignition on or go out after a few seconds . I ask as both these lights remain on and I don't know if they should go out after a few seconds or just go out when the engine has been started ?
I'm just going to put the battery on charge again and see what happens.
Thanks for any help.
Most of the (could be) problems where answered already.If the battery light doesn`t go out, after it`s started?There`s a ignition problem.Bring your ride somewhere that tests alternators and battery`s,If your alternator checks out ok..Move on to your battery.How old is the battery?If you have to keep charging it.It`s more than likely you`ll need to replace the battery with a new one.If you replace the battery, and it still starts on and off?You may have a fuel problem.Check out your fuel like Captain Hook said.If the fuel pressure checks out alright?That`s a whole nother issue.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:06 PM
Beginning Member

All warning lights go off when the engine is running.
If I fully charge the battery and start the engine, go for a drive and watch the Voltage Gage while driving would a reading of 12v - 13v or less indicate a bad alternator ?
I turned the ignition on earlier and the Volt Gage indicated just under 12v, when I turned the key to start the engine the needle on the Volt Gage dipped into the red zone and the car failed to start ( the battery was not fully charged , just wanted to see what the Volt Gage did).

Old 11-28-2015, 02:49 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

"All warning lights go off when the engine is running." That's a pretty good indication that the things that they monitor are working OK, (they don't check the battery).

The volt gage on the dash is basically there for "looks". They are not known for their accuracy, best to use a voltmeter connected to the battery.

If the red battery icon is illuminated while driving, the alternator is not charging the battery. There are certain (rare) problems that can occur in an alternator, that will prevent the alternator from charging the battery, but still keep the light off.

If the voltage, or the amperage reserve, are low in the battery, it can cause a no-start condition due to low amperage being supplied to necessary things such as the fuel pump and ignition system. The "heart" of the electrical system is the battery. It must be able to hold a charge, store and supply sufficient amperage, and be fully charged, for the electrical system to work properly.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:06 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
"All warning lights go off when the engine is running." That's a pretty good indication that the things that they monitor are working OK, (they don't check the battery).

The volt gage on the dash is basically there for "looks". They are not known for their accuracy, best to use a voltmeter connected to the battery.

If the red battery icon is illuminated while driving, the alternator is not charging the battery. There are certain (rare) problems that can occur in an alternator, that will prevent the alternator from charging the battery, but still keep the light off.

If the voltage, or the amperage reserve, are low in the battery, it can cause a no-start condition due to low amperage being supplied to necessary things such as the fuel pump and ignition system. The "heart" of the electrical system is the battery. It must be able to hold a charge, store and supply sufficient amperage, and be fully charged, for the electrical system to work properly.
Thanks, that info helps a great deal.
I think I'll invest in a new battery. I've only just bought the Blazer so don't know how long the battery has been on the car. Even if the old battery is not causing the problem it will give me piece of mind during the approaching Winter (preventative maintenance is always a help !).
I'll keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Should 'Battery' and 'Check Engine' light go out ?