2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Side Mirrors for 96 Blazer / Jimmy

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 11:14 PM
Jimmy96 is on a distinguished road
Question Side Mirrors for 96 Blazer / Jimmy

I'm new to the forum and real glad I found it, I've learned a lot just by reading a few threads. I just inherited a 96 Jimmy SLE and don't know much about it. The side mirrors have been flopping in the wind since I've had it and one got damaged last week and needs to be replaced. My questions are: How do I know if the mirrors are heated? I don't see a button to turn it on and don't even see it mentioned as an option in the owners manual. Also, if I can verify my mirrors are non-heated then I have narrowed my choices down to the following three mirrors. Reviews on Amazon mention some not coming with nuts and bolts, and others never achieving a tight fit, always loose. Has anyone had experience with them?

Depo 335-5408L3EB1 Black Driver Side Power Non-Heated Mirror
Dorman 955-301 Chevrolet/GMC/Isuzu/Oldsmobile Driver Side Power Replacement Mirror
TYC 2100132 Chevrolet/GMC/Oldsmobile Driver Side Power Non-Heated Replacement Mirror

Thanks a lot for your comments!

Also, I found this video showing step by step how to replace a power side mirror on, what looks to be, around a 96 Blazer / Jimmy.
Without seeing this video I wouldn't have even thought to attempt this on my own. I hope it can help someone else!

Old 11-10-2014, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

I don't think the 96s came with heated mirrors or at least not that I have ever seen anyway but I could be wrong. My truck came with full power mirrors the I have since "upgraded" to non power mirrors off of the 98+ trucks. I did this for a couple reasons
1. they are a lot cheaper than power
2. they always work!
3. I think they are a lot stronger and better looking (I broke 2 on trees and have bounced these newer mirrors off trees and smashed them folded and still no issues)

I would suggest looking online for some factory mirrors either on the forums, Craigslist, or ebay. You should be able to get them for $20-25 per mirror non power factory quality.

If you really want to add heated mirrors you can find a couple write ups about how to wire them and make them function as factory.

The small tips I can give is to be very careful when pulling the nuts off so you don't loose them inside the door and be careful not to over tighten them or you will break the housing.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:57 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

I agree with Rex: I'm pretty sure that the '96 did not have heated mirrors as an option. Just look on the mirror: If there isn't the little square with heat/bacon lines on it then they are not heated mirrors. Even the trucks that came with the heated mirrors stock didn't have a separate button to control them. They are activated by the rear window defrost switch.

I upgraded mine to the 98+ ones like Rex too, but I wired them in so I have power mirrors and heated mirrors.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:30 PM
Jimmy96 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your replies. I don't see anything on the mirrors that look like heating elements. I think I'm going with the TYC 2100132. It seems to have the best reviews.