2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Skip White All-aluminum Vortec V-6 Distributor Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 11:28 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough
Default Skip White All-aluminum Vortec V-6 Distributor Review

Bought one of these to replace my factory plastic distributor because of a cracked/broken distributor cap screw hole:

White Performance Detail Description

Looks pretty dang good for $41.50. Obviously Chinese, but so are MSD billet distributors, Summit Billet distributors, and Jegs Billet distributors. A little extra shaft end-play but installed as-is after switching over my AC/Delco cam sensor, rotor, and cap from my old distributor. I won't comment on those, other than what came with it certainly must be really cheap. Modified the hold down that came with the distributor to give a little distributor rotation. Set camshaft sensor retard (CMP retard) to 0° (was -3.0° with the old distributor). Seems to have fixed a very slight part throttle hesitation I have always experienced after transmission shifted into second gear (probably adjustment in cam sensor retard helped this).

Last edited by LesMyer; 09-28-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:31 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Yup, good piece. The ad description is a little confusing though, so be careful when ordering. The first distributor is EDI, (OBDII). It also comes with the CMP sensor, which they make no mention of. The second distributor is for HEI, (OBDI & OBD1.5) TBI & carbureted engines.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:30 AM

Interesting that CMP retard starts at 0.5-0.7 when cold and gradually goes down to 0.0-0.1 when engine is fully up to temp. This is repeatable. Timing chain expanding and getting a bit longer when hot, making the cmp retard go a little bit more negative? What do you think, Captain?

As an aside if you change the cam sensor in these distributors, make sure it clears the rotor support plate without any interference. Mine did not clear well until I loosened screws again and adjusted slightly. Don't know how you would ever accomplish this adjustment with the distributor installed in the vehicle. Need to spin it.

Last edited by LesMyer; 09-29-2015 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:36 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Have had the Skip White aluminum distributor in my '02 for about three years now...zero problems. I did replace rotor and cap through with Delco ones.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:19 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

Thanks for taking the time to review this distributor which many of us will need sooner or later. This is a bargain even with changing out to the AC Delco parts! Keep us up to date as you get some miles on it.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:00 PM
Starting Member
ntjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Just looking into this as I have the cracked distributor cap screw hole also. Is it recommended to replace the cam sensor with an AC Delco one or does the one that is already in it meeting everyone's needs? I do plan to add the AC Delco cap and rotor button but want to get this one right...

Old 02-08-2016, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by ntjoe
Just looking into this as I have the cracked distributor cap screw hole also. Is it recommended to replace the cam sensor with an AC Delco one or does the one that is already in it meeting everyone's needs? I do plan to add the AC Delco cap and rotor button but want to get this one right...
If you switch the cam sensor, make absolutely certain that you get the alignment right and it does not hit or rub on moving parts. I had to take care when switching mine and it required some readjustment from where it first seated. Do this with the distributor out so you can spin it to make sure. Otherwise run the distributor as-it-comes and keep your old cam sensor if the new one ever fails. Don't forget to set your cam sensor retard value to 0° ± 2° when you are done.

Last edited by LesMyer; 02-08-2016 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:10 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
If you switch the cam sensor, make absolutely certain that you get the alignment right and it does not hit or rub on moving parts. I had to take care when switching mine and it required some readjustment from where it first seated. Do this with the distributor out so you can spin it to make sure. Otherwise run the distributor as-it-comes and keep your old cam sensor if the new one ever fails. Don't forget to set your cam sensor retard value to 0° ± 2° when you are done.

Thank you!!!! I was not familiar with the cam sensor retard process. I have changed a few distributors out in other vehicles and pretty much lined them up to where the rotor button was pointing previously and then adjusted slightly as needed and have had no issues (most recently a relatives 01 Quest that ran fine after that was done). Is there a link to this? I have searched but haven't found anything yet.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:24 PM
Starting Member
Old 02-08-2016, 02:26 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by ntjoe
OK, so I can do this, or is there anything wrong with lining up the rotor button as I previously mentioned....seems to me might be less work putting it back in like it was. Again, not trying to reinvent the process, just want to do it the easiest way possible.

Quick Reply: Skip White All-aluminum Vortec V-6 Distributor Review