2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Small Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 06:48 PM
Beginning Member
RQuickDraw is on a distinguished road
Default Small Leak

Lately my '00 Jimmy 4.3 L with auto transmission has developed a small, pinkish color leak. From underneath, I can see it is coming off the bolt heads for the starter motor. It's hard to see anything from above. Anybody know what is above the starter that would cause this leak?

Old 03-22-2016, 06:56 PM
odat will become famous soon enough

is it 4WD - never mind your profile says 2WD check your transmission oil cooler lines going to the radiator they could be leaking a little and blowing back or oozing back the lines to above the starter and dripping off there

Last edited by odat; 03-22-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:02 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Dexcool coolant, (what your vehicle should have) is orange, but there are other coolants that are pinkish. Transmission fluid is red, could be construed as pink. Are either of those fluid levels low?

Old 03-23-2016, 10:08 AM
Beginning Member

This morning I took a closer look at this leak. It is definitely coolant (Dexcool). I removed the front right tire and lifted up on that flap to get a closer look. The area is generally dry so I don't think it is being sprayed back from the radiator or hoses and, although there is a freeze plug next to the starter, it is also dry. The leak appears to be coming from above the starter. I can't see where because the exhaust manifold is in the way. Anybody have any ideas what this could be?

Old 03-23-2016, 10:27 AM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

Intake manifold gasket comes to mind... Have yours ever been replaced?

Old 03-23-2016, 01:52 PM
Beginning Member

No, I've never had that done. Is the head gasket another possibility?

Old 03-23-2016, 02:09 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Extremely doubtful that it's the head gasket. Very common for lower intakes to leak. Use Felpro MS98002T gasket set only.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:01 PM
Beginning Member

OK, thank you for the input. I'll post back.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:55 PM

If you're planning on doing it yourself, let us know, because there are several headache, and money saving tips that we can offer that will make life easier

Old 03-23-2016, 08:38 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks, Captain, but as much as I like doing my own maintenance (as much as possible) I think this one is out of my league. I'll have to take it to a shop. At least I have an idea what I am faced with and can talk knowledgeably to the mechanic. With 100,000 miles on her, do you think I should take this opportunity to upgrade to the MPFI spider? I'm still running on the original CSFI.

Quick Reply: Small Leak