2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Snow Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 10:41 PM
Canadian88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Snow Tires

Wow, i can't wait to get those, now i just need a little green to set the wheels in motion, so to speak. Thanks again for your invaluable information, you have once again proven your knowledge. I'm totally phsyched for those! I'm not sure i understand the tire size thing though, i understand the treadwith (my bro has 295's on his cobra) and the rim size, but i don't know which size to get with the other numbers (i know i sound like a schoolgirl).

Old 12-08-2005, 12:28 AM
Starting Member
Bocomo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The second number is %.

The first number is tire width (millimeters). The third number is rim size (in inches). The second number is the heigth of the tire (from the rim). So as in Kyle's example a 235/75R15 will be a tire that is 6.939 inches tall (Kyle has done the other math). So if you want over rim and tire you can add the tire twice to the rim size. Or in numbers it would be 6.939 + 6.939 + 15 = 28.878 (from ground to top of tire) Visit the tire calculator in Kyle's post (since I don't know how to link a post, I copied it below). You'll see we get the same answer.

To step up to the Dunlop Radial Rovers, you have to go to a 75 series tire (stock on my Bravada was 235/70R15). I'm going to be doing this as soon as it is financially possible to get rid of the POS Uniroyal Laredo tires that are on it now. The difference between the 70 series and 75 series for that tread width and rim size is about 3% increase in your speed. So they have 3% more height to them.

Alittle explaination on tire sizes. The first number (235 in my case) is the tread width in millimeters. The second number is the ratio of sidewall height to treadwidth and the last number is the rim diameter in inches. To get the overall diameter of the tire you must multiply the tread width by the ratio divided by 100, convert that from millimeters to inches (1 mm = 0.03937 in), double it and add it to the rim diameter. The 235/70R15 is a 28" tall tire and the 235/75R15 is a 28.9" tall tire.

Here is a great tire size calculator that I use very frequently: Tire Size Calculator

Hope this helps.

Old 12-08-2005, 10:55 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: The second number is %.

ORIGINAL: Bocomo
The second number is the heigth of the tire (from the rim).
Not completely true. As I stated above, the second number is the ratio of sidewall height to treadwidth and is a percentage. So if the tire is a 235/70R15, the treadwidth is 235mm (9.251969in). From there, the sidewall height is 235mm * 70% (or 0.7) which would make the sidewall 164.5mm (6.476378in) tall. So now to get the overall tire height, you have to add the rim diameter (15in) and two sidewall heights. So we go from the ground up, 6.48in to the rim, 15in to the other side of the rim, and another 6.48in to the top of the tire. Totals out at ~28in tall tire.

Old 12-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Starting Member
Default We're saying the same thing.

I had percentage in my subject, I should have included it in the text, too. I agree with everything Kyle said. I would agree with my post, too, if I factored in the subject title in to the text.

I think they should have more than enough information now.

Old 12-08-2005, 01:54 PM
93LT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: We're saying the same thing.

Now they can factor this info as well. Different brands of tires of like sizes can vary in height and tread width. Heck they even vary within the same brand but different models. An example would be various models from Cooper Tires. Gets pretty interestingwhen you think you've figured out exactly what size tire you want and then find a tread pattern you like better only to find out it isn't the exact same size.

In the Provided link, compare P235, 235 (Eruopean), and LT. Even though 235 dictates the tread width, they vary across the board.

Old 12-08-2005, 01:59 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

The Federal government mandates that all DOT approved tires have three ratings on each tire. Only DOT approved tires can be used on paved roads. They rate tire longevity, resistance to temperature, and traction. The higher the tread wear number the longer the tires will last. Tire longevity is directly related to the number on the side of the tire. Do a web search for tire ratings and check out the FEd site.

My BFG All-Terrains will last 50,000 miles or better before I replace them. I already have 37,000 miles on them and more then half the tread left. Then again I use my tires on and off-road. They have served my well.
Here is a pic of a mud pit I drove through with the BFG All-Terrains on my stock '00 S10-Blazer. The Jeep in the pic was running 33" tires with 4" of lift. If you look at the pic, you can see my tire tracks in front of his Jeep.

Pic of my truck after we got done playing at the off-road park. Notice the mud line down the door? It was that deep in spots. Granted the passengers side was higher at times. But the BFG All-Terrains do fairly well off road.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: 93LT

Now they can factor this info as well. Different brands of tires of like sizes can vary in height and tread width. Heck they even vary within the same brand but different models. An example would be various models from Cooper Tires. Gets pretty interestingwhen you think you've figured out exactly what size tire you want and then find a tread pattern you like better only to find out it isn't the exact same size.

In the Provided link, compare P235, 235 (Eruopean), and LT. Even though 235 dictates the tread width, they vary across the board.
Very true. The same goes for shoes (yes sneakers, dress shoes, etc). A size 10 by Nike may fit better than a size 10 by Adidas...

Typically, the LT (light truck) tires are larger tires, where our blazers originally (zr2 aside) came with passenger car rated tires. It is kind of funny how you don't see any 235/70R15 tires in the LT rating (or with any load rating actually).

Hanr3, I was by no means putting down the BFG ATs. I know they are a great tire. I was just speaking of the average (all other things being equal if such a thing existed).

My father loves the BFG ATs, but he can't keep a set on his truck for more than about 20,000 miles. He keeps buying them not for their life, but the traction he gets out of them. This is a dedicated farm truck that doesn't play offroad, it works offroad! He way over abuses his tires with weight (250 gallon diesel tank in the back) as well as the conditions he puts it through (plowing, getting to and from the road when working in the fields, plus all of the towing of wagons and his most-of-the-time overloaded 5th wheel) all factor in to how long or in this case short of a life your tires will endure.

Old 12-08-2005, 10:46 PM
2001blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

i dont know if u guys care for another input but i live in minnesota and i bought michelin LTX M/S there awsome my dad has them on his navigator aswell and we both couldnt be happier heres a link to tire rack they have reviews/ratings of the tire http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odel=LTX+M%2FS

Old 12-08-2005, 11:00 PM
Starting Member

I have Firestone Destination LE on my Blazer and I got around better in the Blazer than I did my truck with BFG AT today in our four inches of snow. I was really surprised.

My truck is Ford F250 for what it is worth.

Here is the Firestone at Tirerack: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=1

Old 12-09-2005, 01:19 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

No offense taking swart.
Not syaing they are better, just that I like them for my application. I am testing out a set of Cooper Discovery S/T on my son DD/trail rig.

Lots of factors play into tire longevity. Alignment, load, terrain to name a few.

Quick Reply: Snow Tires