2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Sold with no emergency brakes. Legal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:35 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Sold with no emergency brakes. Legal?

Haha these threads make me love NC that much more

once a vehicle is 10 years old, no emissions testing, period.

I would imagine your only trouble would be passing inspection if those really are the NY requirements. But if it passes inspection, it can be titled right?

Old 01-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Beginning Member
Fivspeed is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: The Beep

I bought a 2000 LS 2dr 4x4with 118k a week ago.

The mechanic said there were no emergency brakes. The parts weregone and the cables were frozen.

I bought the truck "as is" but was wondering if it was legal to sell it without the e-brakes?
VA requires an annual safety inspection. You would fail for lack of emergency brakes...and they do check. They take every opportunity to make money during an inspection. Its only $16, so they try to make up for it elsewhere.You need to carry proof of the inspection with the inspection stations information on it. Theoretically, you could sue the dealer, the previous ownerand the previous inspection station and probable end up with a free repair. Heck, I'd expect the dealer would be at least willing to absorb the labor to help avoid bad publicity...and you could probably make it reallly bad for them if you were so inclined.

Many dealers claim to do a multi-point inspection on the vehicle prior to selling it, any chance your dealer claimed the same?

Old 01-05-2009, 06:06 PM
ZLover4Life is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish people would stop calling it an emergency brake and thinking it's a safety device. It's a parking brake, for parking on an incline or decline. The last thing you want in an emergency is the parking brake to lock up the rear tires.

But as has been stated, the pads can wear and they can be adjusted.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:09 PM
Beginning Member
The Beep is an unknown quantity at this point

There are no inspections of any kind in Minnesnowta. I'll be driving the truck up to Bemidji and back tomorrow (465 miles) and hopefully it will prove itself to be reliable. I got 14.4 mpg on the 1st tank mostly city and some 4wd in a couple of snow storms. We'll see what it does on the hwy tomorrow.

BTW, they've been called "emergency brakes" around here since the dawn of time.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

If a brake line rusts thru(a common occurrence here in NY State) and I got little or no brake pedal-I'll call it an emergency brake.............and my best friend! Sign me-been there/done that! Jerry

Old 01-05-2009, 09:36 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

A key to this that seems to be skipped over is the as is part he mentions this means that it could be missing any part and be as is. For all you know it could be missing the air bag or something, in maine an as is auto is almost always a car that wont pass inspection or has a major engine or transmission issue.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:31 PM
Beginning Member
The Beep is an unknown quantity at this point

"As is" means the dealer isn't offering any warranty. Nothing else. My guess is (and I'll find out) that unless it has a salvage title, it would need to have the basic safety devices in place (seat belts for instance).

Old 01-05-2009, 10:42 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I just dont know...that sounds right...but at the same time, the dealer could simply verify that it was inspected and legally tagged and titled in the state, making it legally sellable in the state....which would put them in the clear.

Tough call.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:33 AM

I would talk to DMV and that's it. Every state varies in it's laws. In New York State you can't(as a Dealer) sell 'as is' to the public. PERIOD. And as I stated in a previous post..the stuff that has(and I do)to be checked/replaced/repaired. Anyway, in Minnesota maybe you can sell 'as is' and if you buy it right-maybe(or maybe it isn't) a good deal. Hey wolfpack-if you have dual pistons on the rear of your rig you've got a rare one! Jerry

Old 01-06-2009, 07:09 AM

Let me clarify one thing. In New York, if the vehicle has over 100,000 miles it is possible to sell it technically 'as is'-no warranty if that is what is decided between customer and Dealer. BUT...it still has(supposedly) has to be inspected(if sold to the public-not wholesale/and that opens a whole nother 'can of worms'-interpreting that-wholesale) and 'roadworthy'. Check YOUR state laws to be sure-your DMV will hopefully be helpful! Jerry

Quick Reply: Sold with no emergency brakes. Legal?