2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Some help with 02 Blazer overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 02:51 PM
96across is on a distinguished road
Default Some help with 02 Blazer overheating

Ive seen topic here before, but cant find them. My blazer is overheating when the AC is running, but cools when the heater is on. I flushed the radiator the best I could, but noticed the coolant isn't circulating like it should at normal running temps. Is this a problem with the water pump, the thermostat, or an air bubble in the cooling system? Thanks for the help.

Last edited by 96across; 06-02-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If it only overheats when the A/C is running, I would suspect a restricted core exterior. Have you cleaned both the A/C condenser & radiator on the outside?

Old 06-03-2010, 09:40 AM
96across is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
If it only overheats when the A/C is running, I would suspect a restricted core exterior. Have you cleaned both the A/C condenser & radiator on the outside?
Thanks. I haven't, but I will. Hope this will help. We have had the blazer for about 5 months, so much to do with learning about it.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:39 PM
CaptnTony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Same issue, but looking to clarify 'solution'

I'm not sure what is meant by cleaning the outside of those two items. Haven't ever thought of the outside of the AC condenser having anything to do with overheating the truck.

Can someone explain why this might help (and what I must do to properly clean it)? Do I need chemicals, just water, water/soap....? Just a wash with a rag or do I need a brush (soft/wire bristles)?

Thanks for the help, it's appreciated!

Todd

Old 07-15-2010, 05:44 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

Use plastic bristles and a hose, no metal.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:52 PM
llee8300 is on a distinguished road

My 99 does the same...only with the ac on in stop and go traffic with the temps above 90 degrees outside...i just turn the heater on if the temp guage starts going over 210 by much...this drops it right back down while I sweat...I sweat all day at work so it doesnt bother me too much...I only drive it when I cant drive my motorcycle due to weather...I sorta cleaned mine and that didn't help any... I took it to the shop when I was thinking about buying it and had them check it over real good. they replaced the water pump and flushed the system among some other not cooling system repairs...yesterday was 89-90 and I drove 30 miles home with the ac on and it never got over 210 but I was not in stop and go traffic...thinking its just going to be something to deal with in July and August and should be fine the rest of the year...hopefully! open for other suggestions though...thought maybe fan clutch but the mechanic said it seemed fine and there were no leaks from the pressure test and its never low on fluid..

Old 07-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Beginning Member
chevy ll man is on a distinguished road

take the top have of the radiator shroud off easy to do and look in between the radiator and condenser and you will find dirt and leaves garbage wash out with degreaser and hose dont try to brush off you can bend fins and dont rubb with hands very fragile and use a grabber tool or compressed air works thats what happened to mine started to run hot last year and i cleaned it been ok every since you my have other problems but i would start their first

Old 07-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Starting Member
remoyjason is on a distinguished road

I have a 98 blazer and I had that exact poroblem I flushed it aswell but it still overheated really bad. I went to the auto store and purchased " Water-wetter" and it lowered to the normal operating temp. How it helped so well I have no idea, but it worked.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Beginning Member
chevy ll man is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by chevy ll man
take the top half of the radiator shroud off easy to do and look in between the radiator and condenser and you will find dirt and leaves garbage wash out with degreaser and hose dont try to brush off you can bend fins and dont rubb with hands very fragile and use a grabber tool or compressed air works thats what happened to mine started to run hot last year and i cleaned it been ok every since you my have other problems but i would start their first
sorry mis spelled half their needs to be good air flow across the condenser and radiator for engine to cool right thats why its over heating dosent cost anything to look