2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Spark + fuel = no ignition

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 11:10 PM
Rider is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spark + fuel = no ignition

I have tried the other treads but they only confuse becuse i dont fully understand (english not 1st language).

Suddenly just died on the road for about 1 year ago.
In the meamtime i change fueltank, pump, plugs on pump, tube/pipes from tank to engine pipes.

I have spark and fuelpressure at the testport but the engine dont get any fuel (dry spark plugs).
If i pour fuel down the intake the engine starts right away.

I measured all fuses/relays if working (not if right current are present) and looked on all circuit boards, no one look like anything is burned (allso the PCM, that might explain the missing error codes).

OBD2 readout (Autel MaxiScan MS509):
Control Module
$10 SAE J1850 VPW
Live Data
DTC_CNT 0
FUELSYS1 OL
FUELSYS2 OL
LOAD_PCT(%) 0.8
ETC(°C) 9
SHRTFT1(%) 0.0
LONGFT1(%) 0.0
SHRTFT2(%) 0.0
LONGFT2(%) 0.0
MAP(kPa) 100
RPM(/min) 0
VSS(km/h) 0
SPARKADV(°) 0
IAT(°C) -40
MAF(g/s) 1.92
TP(%) 0.0
O2S B1S1-3-B2S1---
O2B1S1(V) 0.225 (last reading 0.165)
SHRTFTB1S1(%) 0.0
O2B1S3(V) 0.450
O2B2S1(V) 0.280 (last reading 0.340)
SHRTFTB2S1(%) 0.0
OBD Not OBD

I hope you will/can help me out, the vehicle inspection was 11. december and i am trying to make it before i get the fine ($700).

Old 01-10-2013, 11:53 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Start by following this link.

96+ Fuel System Diagnosis - Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Post your results. DO a pressure test and then a leakdown

Old 01-11-2013, 01:17 AM

I came to 1-1, "Go to A Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check" an dont now how or maybe dont understand correctly

Old 01-11-2013, 02:49 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Rider
I came to 1-1, "Go to A Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check" an dont now how or maybe dont understand correctly
That's just a test to make sure that your computer is monitoring the vehicle properly. It's pretty likely that it's working so it's safe to skip that step and proceed from there.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:59 AM

What can totaly stop the fuel in a second while driving on this short path (on a 1998) ?

I turned on rear window wiper, it was stuck, and the car just died, i might sensed a light electric burn from the TCM, iam not sure at all, it could be my mind playing a trick on me.

I know i look lazy and i dont expect the big solution but if anyone can tell me what or/and how to check i would be very grateful.

The reason i dont just follow the link is i loose all energy when there is something i dont understand and I have nothing left, i been sleeping since wednesday (4 days) and dont know why or when i might get some energy again but know iam close to the deadline with the car and soon will get the fine and lose the licensplates.

Attached Thumbnails Spark + fuel = no ignition-rider-57866-albums-chevrolet-blazer-1998-5108-picture-csefi-25098.jpg  
Old 01-13-2013, 08:56 AM
spittybays

Look flow charts are great if you have some experience and can kind of glide over stuff. For =you the basic problem in IMO is going to be one of two things. A fuel pump problem or an injector problem.
Fuel pump is most likely. You say you have pressure at the port, that means nothing.
Let's just say you have 30lbs, now that's like what you have in your house, turn on a faucet and put your finger on it, seems like alot of pressure but its not.
Your injectors want to see like 55-60 to open properly.
You need to put a fuel pressure gage on the test port and it needs key on engine off 60lbs and not go below 55lbs in ten minutes. These numbers can be slightly off do to variations in gages.
You need to get a fuel pressure gage. Alot of national parts houses will let one out the door for a deposit.
Have some coffee go get one, get a ride do whatever you have to do and come back with the test results, everyone here just loves to get peoples rides going. Don't go running to return the gage right away. Jeff.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:42 PM

I dont think it is fuel pump because it just died and because i have replaced it with a brand new and still the same but my psi are a little low

I´ll slip something i my drink tonight and spend all night in the workshop, check everything i know how and take some pics and readings and try to upload it early tomorrow morning, maybe there is something you can use to help me along

Old 01-13-2013, 07:52 PM
spittybays

Sorry I did not see up top were you did the fuel pump but stll do the leak down.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:46 AM

Done it all just to be sure, think i found a better way but with alot of pics and video so first my new obd2 results:

On-Board Mon. Test:
Test $07 Data:
ID: 0C - 0D
MOD: $10 - $10
MEAS: DC00 - DC00
MAX: 0 - 9B
MIN: ---- - ----
STS: Fail - Fail

(Mode $07 displays test results for all the continuous monitors, which includes misfires on vehicles other than Fords, the operation of the oxygen sensors, and the operation of all the engine’s sensors and other inputs. This mode tells you if the OBD II system has run all of its self-checks, and whether or not all of the monitors have passed (which is necessary for a vehicle to take and pass an OBD II plug-in emissions check).

MIL Status OFF (warning lamp)

(With starter running, not engine)

DTC_CNT 0
FUELSYS1 OL
FUELSYS2 OL
LOAD_PCT(%) 2.4
ETC(°C) 12
SHRTFT1(%) 0.0
LONGFT1(%) 0.0
SHRTFT2(%) 0.0
LONGFT2(%) 0.0
MAP(kPa) 98
RPM(/min) 132
VSS(km/h) 0
SPARKADV(°) 0
IAT(°C) 17
MAF(g/s) 4.56
TP(%) 63.1
O2S B1S1-3-B2S1---
O2B1S1(V) 0.425
SHRTFTB1S1(%) 0.0
O2B1S3(V) 0.445
O2B2S1(V) 0.425
SHRTFTB2S1(%) 0.0
OBD Not OBD

If i pour gas down the intake it starts right away and i am pretty sure the nozzles deliver gasoline so i dont understand what the difference is but it just wont start on its own.

When I separated the injection i notice all the vacuum hoses where finished so i change them.

Other things: (dont know if they can prevent the engine from starting ?)
1/ I dont have any brake fluid on becuse iam allso working on one of the callipers, allso no abs in that side.
2/ Dident have one of the air intake censors on.
3/ Not sure if the rear lambdasonde is connected.
4/ Fuel Tank have no ground.

Ill follow up with pics asap

Last edited by Rider; 01-15-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:55 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Did you do a leak down ? Follow the link I posted in my 1st post. Quit wasting time and do a leakdown.

Quick Reply: Spark + fuel = no ignition