2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Spider fuel injector question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 07:50 AM
Starting Member
Graveyard is on a distinguished road
Default Spider fuel injector question

Morning,
Can someone explain to me what type of conversion they're speaking of...

GM Original Equipment; Includes Instructions for Conversion from Poppet-Style Injectors

Thank you

Old 05-23-2016, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

It is the MPFI conversion or upgrade. Below is a copy and paste explaining how it works. It is a plug and play upgrade with no modification required and should be able to be completed in 2-3 hours tops.

The poppet nozzles snap into the intake ports on all W engines and spray directly from the nozzle. The new injector nozzles snap into the same holes that the poppets used to. Spray pattern is virtually the same on both systems. 1995 (OBDI) and older W engines with CMFI, (Central Multiport Fuel Injection) have one injector that is batch fired, (delivers fuel to all nozzles with each injector pulse) so the fuel is constantly moving through the injector lines and poppet nozzles. The injectors on 1996 and newer W engines with CSFI, (Central Sequential Fuel Injection) are sequentially fired with the ignition firing order. As a result, the fuel moves much more slowly through the injector lines and has a tendency to varnish up the nozzles under certain conditions. Relocating the injectors to the intake ports exposes them to higher temperatures and reduces the tendency of forming varnish in the nozzle. The upgrade technically changes the system to a SMFI, (Sequential Multiport Fuel Injection) system. It just doesn't get any better than this, unless you go to direct injection.

GM used the X engine in S&T body, (Blazer, Jimmy etc) G body, (full size van) M&L, (Astro Safari) and full size pick ups starting in certain vehicle platforms in 2001, I think 2002 & newer, all platforms had the X engine, (not 100% certain though).

Delphi # FJ10565
AC Delco # 217-3028

Old 05-23-2016, 09:43 AM
Starting Member

So if I understand you, after I purchase the AC brand fuel injector, It's ready to be installed straight from the box?

Old 05-23-2016, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Yes sir! If you search around here you will find some write ups on how to make it happen. It's pretty simple just requires some attention to detail to make sure things go back together properly.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:27 PM
Starting Member

Thank you very much!

Old 05-23-2016, 04:29 PM
Racer_X is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Graveyard
So if I understand you, after I purchase the AC brand fuel injector, It's ready to be installed straight from the box?
Yes, but you might also need a few more parts.

The whole replacement/upgrade procedure is documented in the second half of GM TSB #00-06-04-003B. I got a printed copy from someone at a local dealership. Google can probably find it from that number. The TSB shows three required parts, the injector assembly, the bracket and the seal kit.

If you're looking at AC/Delco part # 2173028, that "kit" includes the injector assembly, the bracket and the seals.

You probably want to replace the upper plenum gasket as well. Technically, it's "reusable" but depending on age, you might need one. Unless I absolutely know that it was replaced in the past 3 years, I don't ever plan on reusing those.

If your engine hasn't had the lower intake gaskets replaced and upgraded to the newer (metal substrate, more dex-cool compatible, less likely to leak) version, this would also be a great time to replace/upgrade the lower intake gaskets and bolts.

Part #'s:
Upper plenum gasket kit: Fel-Pro MS95816
or
Intake manifold gasket kit (includes upper plenum and lower manifold gaskets) Fel-Pro MS98002T (corrected)
plus lower manifold bolts:
First choice, good quality stainless bolts with smooth flanged heads, 5/16-18 x 1.5 inches long, quantity 8, or alternatively, ARP 434-2002 or ARP 434-2102 (the ARP kits include 8 proper stainless bolts).
Second choice, Fel-pro ES72224, or quantity 8 of GM part # 12550027, or anything that cross references to that GM number.

Last edited by Racer_X; 05-23-2016 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Corrected Fel-Pro part # for full intake set. Thanks CWBDDSPC, good catch.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:18 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Racer_X

Part #'s:
Upper plenum gasket kit: Fel-Pro MS95816
or
Intake manifold gasket kit (includes upper plenum and lower manifold gaskets) Fel-Pro MS95817.

The MS95817 is the same plastic gasket as OEM. You want Fel-Pro MS 98002 T if you are looking for the upgraded metal version

Old 05-23-2016, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by CWBDDSPC
The MS95817 is the same plastic gasket as OEM. You want Fel-Pro MS 98002 T if you are looking for the upgraded metal version

Oops, you are correct.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:22 AM
Starting Member

Thanks again and I have the upgraded metal fel-pro gasket kit. I am doing the lower intake gaskets also, plus the valve covers, plenum gaskets, and the ac fuel injector kit you spoke of. Although, yesterday I removed the upper intake plenum to find out it has a crack on the rear passenger side corner. also the boot on the map pressure sensor is going away. I'm wondering, can the small orange sensor boot be replaced?
That little sensor is around 50 bucks to replace.
Later

Old 05-24-2016, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Graveyard
Thanks again and I have the upgraded metal fel-pro gasket kit. I am doing the lower intake gaskets also, plus the valve covers, plenum gaskets, and the ac fuel injector kit you spoke of. Although, yesterday I removed the upper intake plenum to find out it has a crack on the rear passenger side corner. also the boot on the map pressure sensor is going away. I'm wondering, can the small orange sensor boot be replaced?
That little sensor is around 50 bucks to replace.
Later
The MAP sensor grommet is Chevrolet Part # 16194007, should be under $5. Jegs and another Amazon vendor have them for sure (combine with the ARP bolts for lower total shipping), compare shipping on jegs.com to Jegs on amazon. Sometimes there's a big difference. The dealerships either stock them or can get them. If you ask for the grommet/seal for the MAP sensor, they'll never find it. Give them that part # and they'll get it for you.

For the plenum, replacements are available. Genuine (or AC/Delco) are around $75 online. The GM number is 17113542. You could also either repair with epoxy or JB Weld, or find a good used one on Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market.

Last edited by Racer_X; 05-24-2016 at 08:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Spider fuel injector question