2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Squeeling serpintine belt

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 02:06 PM
Don
Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Squeeling serpintine belt

I have a 1997 Chevy S10 Blazer. I have a constant problem of asqueeling belt. I've had the belt tensioner installed as recommended by mechanic, I've had new belts put on, sprayed belt conditioner and nothing seems to work. It squeels about 95% of the time. During wet weather it is worse. My mechanic has the same blazer with the same problem and he can't even get his to stop squeeling.
Does anyone out there have any solution to this nagging squeeeling belt problem?

Old 01-14-2007, 02:54 PM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Squeeling serpintine belt

Yea, its called the WRONG SIZE BELT

Had a similar issue with an Astro w/ 4.3 vin W
Parts counter (both auto parts and dealership) gave the wrong size belt. Went to a smaller belt and no more problems. too bad it took 2 alternators and 3 tensioners, 5 belts, and 2 mechanic shops (due to warranty on parts one was a dealership) then the owner brought it to me (for the 4th and then final 5th belt).

Goes to show any one can make a mistake

Old 01-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Don
Don is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks, will give it a try

Old 01-14-2007, 04:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I had this same problem on my truck when I first bought it. I purchased a Goodyear Gatorback belt and it has been quiet for the last 10k+ miles in all weather.

But yeah, the belt must be correct before it can work properly.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:09 PM
berniescout is an unknown quantity at this point

look for any missing nubs on the belt. had a napa gold missing one and that was the problem after the long list of replacing everything else. also i have heard of a tsb about dirt build up on groved pulleys. needs to be cleaned off. finally what were the sizes of the belts? wrong size by length or width?

Old 01-14-2007, 11:27 PM
filstoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Had a similar problem on mine. Finally figured out that the A/C compressor was intermittantly causing the problem. It was in the process of seizing up.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:35 PM
Starting Member
kerander is an unknown quantity at this point

Ditto with my compressor

Old 01-15-2007, 01:19 AM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

The compressor is easy to tell due to you can hear it clicking (on and off).

Good way to check this is to turn on your A/C and look under the hood, you will see the clutch in the center of the pulley spin and stop spinning (if your A/C works). Another good way to tell is to remove the tension on the belt and wiggle the pulley for the A/C. If it has more then 1/32nd of an inch play, front bearing and/or front seal are going bad. If you spin it and hear a grinding noise then the clutches could be binding or toast.

Most of the time with this issue I have found the belt to be too long. Ahand full oftimes a bad tensioner pulley. Twice a bad compressor.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:13 PM
Boricua Z is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same issue with my alternator belt on my 85, my whole neighborhood knows when Im coming or going

Old 01-15-2007, 07:44 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Boricua Z

I have the same issue with my alternator belt on my 85, my whole neighborhood knows when Im coming or going
You should have a V-belt setup... So you can take a wrench and tighten it up....

Quick Reply: Squeeling serpintine belt