2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

SRS sensor replacement part

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 01:46 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough
Default SRS sensor replacement part

Hi all,

I would like some advice on getting a replacement SRS sensor for my 1999 Blazer. I need at least one of the ones that goes behind the front bumper.

I've heard of people getting them from wrecked ones at junk yards. I'm willing to pull the part myself but I know I'd benefit from hearing back from people here.

Here are several questions to start with:
  1. Would the sensors from a Blazer that had the air bags go off be the ones to get to have confidence they they work? Or are the odds good that any sensors would be likely good.
  2. What years would have compatible parts with my 1999?
  3. What tools would I need to bring to remove them?
  4. Any hints for reinstalling the replacement ones?
  5. Any other thoughts/advice?

Thanks

Old 06-24-2018, 07:19 AM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

The front impact (discriminating) sensors can be tested with an ohm meter. The left and right sensors have different acceptable ohm ranges. I lost the notes I'd taken from an Alldata page that had the numbers. That was when my harness was burned and I had a code for loss of communication to those sensors. Both sensors tested fine so I knew my problem was elsewhere. Find the correct ohm range for your 99 and verify which one is causing the problem.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:21 AM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

They rivet onto the bottom of the rad. Support. If you find the specs for yours, I'll test mine and send them to you for just shipping cost if you'd like. I unhooked them years ago and have been meaning to take them off anyhow.

But to answer your other questions,

Do not use them off a vehicle with deployed airbags.

You would need to remove the grille, front bumper, and skid plate to access them. If I remember correct you'd need 13 and 15 mm socket for the front bumper, and a 15mm for skid plate. Then you'd need a drill with a 1/4 inch bit for the sensors.

You'll want a large rivet gun for the 1/4 inch rivets, not just a regular sized one

Old 06-24-2018, 11:55 AM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

For what it's worth, when you reinstall them, don't bother using rivets... Stupid way to install them to begin with in my opinion...

Instead of just riveting the sensors in place when I changed mine (chasing the same problem Rusty Nuts had), I installed threaded rivets into the holes in the bottom of the radiator support, and now I can remove and reinstall the sensors at will by just unbolting them.

Old 06-24-2018, 08:53 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Rusty Nuts
The front impact (discriminating) sensors can be tested with an ohm meter. The left and right sensors have different acceptable ohm ranges. I lost the notes I'd taken from an Alldata page that had the numbers. That was when my harness was burned and I had a code for loss of communication to those sensors. Both sensors tested fine so I knew my problem was elsewhere. Find the correct ohm range for your 99 and verify which one is causing the problem.
So I found my notes with the error code: B1036

I also found two references to resistances. In the circuit diagram, the resistance within the right-hand sensor is 1000 Ohms. I also found a reference to a calculated resistance as performed by a scan tool, 2.3 Ohms.

I've attached excerpts from my 1999 GM manual in case they help.

I need to do the system check again but I'll likely take you up on your offer for the sensors.

Christine

Old 06-25-2018, 06:09 AM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

when I got B01036 on my old jimmy , it was the connection to the main module under the console ...loose enough to be intermittent.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:31 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
For what it's worth, when you reinstall them, don't bother using rivets... Stupid way to install them to begin with in my opinion...

Instead of just riveting the sensors in place when I changed mine (chasing the same problem Rusty Nuts had), I installed threaded rivets into the holes in the bottom of the radiator support, and now I can remove and reinstall the sensors at will by just unbolting them.

Hey, I used your advice of using the rivet nuts and it worked great. I had to drive about 30 miles to a Harbor Freight to get the tool but it was worth it to get this item off my to do list!

https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...73/#post693834

Old 04-02-2024, 02:22 PM
hombrederacilla is on a distinguished road

Buenas tardes.Dado que permanecen encendida la lus AIRBAG de mi tablero, Consulto si tiene los valores en Ohm de los sensores de impacto frontal derecho e izquierdo para saber si los mismos están en buen estado. Quizá el problema sea alguna mal conexion, pero quiero descartar primero los sensores.
Muchas gracias

Old 04-02-2024, 10:38 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by hombrederacilla
Buenas tardes.Dado que permanecen encendida la lus AIRBAG de mi tablero, Consulto si tiene los valores en Ohm de los sensores de impacto frontal derecho e izquierdo para saber si los mismos están en buen estado. Quizá el problema sea alguna mal conexion, pero quiero descartar primero los sensores.
Muchas gracias
I had to use Google translate, but if I understood your post correctly, yes, you want to check the internal resistance of the sensor to check if it is ok or not.

Old 04-06-2024, 09:05 AM
hombrederacilla is on a distinguished road

Hi Cristine, yes. I am looking for which without the reference values ​​in ohms of a sensor that works correctly. Both on the left side, which has 4 pins, and on the right side, which only has 2 pins. Thank you very much for any comments. Regards.