2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Starter or crankshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 03:07 AM
Starting Member
KA3AX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starter or crankshaft?

I just put an engine in my 97 blazer 4x4. The engine was setting for a while I think, when I pulled the oil drain plug about a cup or less of water came out then very little of oil. I put new oil (10-W30) in it today. Here is the problem: I turn the ignition and all I here is a lot of crackling probably the starter. Also, the speedometer and tachometer start to rise while I keep the ignition is the start position?

Could the problem be in the starter or the crankshaft, my guess is all that water in the engine block could have caused rust and that is why the starter can't even turn the engine. I don't know just guessing!

I tried turning the crankshaft using a ratchet in the front of the engine, and it was very hard to turn, maybe because of all those accessories (AC compressor, power steering pump, alternator, water pump), and not the rust? I don't know.

Anybody please help. Thanks!

Old 04-12-2006, 05:45 AM
magtec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Starter or crankshaft?

Also, the speedometer and tachometer start to rise while I keep the ignition is the start position?
check the grounds.

Old 04-12-2006, 06:44 AM
kewliam is an unknown quantity at this point

take off the serpanteen belt take out the plugs spray wd40 in each plug hole use alot and with a braker bar wook the crank back and forth untill you can turn the engine over easaly then crank it over without the plugs in put the plugs back and your good to go as long you havent damaged the rings forsenit to turn over

Old 04-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Starting Member

Thanks a lot guys, appreciate it!!!

Old 04-13-2006, 02:04 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

If you still have problems, do you know which flywheel you have. GM ahs two standard flywheels. 150tooth and 168tooth. I think those are the tooth counts, anyway. The wrong one might have starter gear teeht messing issues. A bend flywheel will also cause a strange grinding noise at the starter.

Old 04-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Starting Member

Well, when I took out the starter, the fly wheel looked fine (not grind teeth). Everybody I know keep telling me that it is the ground somewhere I didn't hook up, but I looked and looked on the whole harness and can't find anything, I also checked the ground on the engine, frame, rad support, and body with the voltage tester (or whatever it's called) and it shows 12.4 everywhere!!! I even put a new starter and it does the same thing![:@] The speedometer and tach still keep rising up. I tried hooking up the battery directly to the starter and it would pop out (inside) but not turn, or turn and not pop out.

What should I do????

Old 04-14-2006, 03:50 PM
Starting Member

Thanks a lot Hanr3 for letting me know about the two different flywheels GM has!!! I think that it the problem with it. So do you know which starter goes to which flywheel? Where do I get them?

Thanks

Old 04-14-2006, 05:21 PM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point

That would be 153 and 168.

Back to the original post. You put an engine in and didnt check if it would turn? With plugs removes and some lube like wd 40 sprayed into cylinders via plug holes, you should have turned it by hand or at least a prybar, carefully. Once it moved then use the front crank bolt to turn it with a breaker bar and socket, also carefully.

When you get several revolutions done in the right direction you may stand a chance with the starter. While its still laying on the cinderblocks (assuming you dont have a stand) install the starter and with jumper cables, make it work. If it engages and tries to crank you are doing good. Plugs should not be installed while doing this, but oil pan should have one quart of mystery oil and the rest normal oil, enough to fill it tofull on didpstick, not over. Crank it over and over till it moves fairly easy. Once it does, install the plugs. Remember, no ignition is attached so it cant start. Try tutning it over again and see if it turns over at a normal speed. Keep the battery charged all the while you are doing this.

Now all of this CAN be done while in the car, make sure the ignition is never on, disconnect the main coil wire or never connect the spark plug wires or something. NO IGNITION.

Once this process works, install the proper ignition and spark plug wires to make it run, not before.

What you may have is rust on a cylinder wall. I would know it by feeling the way the engine was moving by hand. Guess from all the trash I have had to deal with cause I'm poor?? Yes a wrong starter could have been installed, Even a wrong flywheel, but why or who would have done that? Did you add new starter? Did you replace the flywheel? Proper SHIMS on the starter may not be present because someone removed them??

As it sits and if you are very daring, you could look, with safety glasses on, while wearing heavy clothing to protect from flying parts, AT THE WAY THE STARTER ENGAGES THE FLYWHEEL. Dangerous activity. Maybe not to someone who has never had something shatter while under there, but take my word for it, I HAVE. The ignition is not hooked up while doing this to keep you safe. You do not need ignition to turn engine. Leave it off till it turns over. Yes I would still have some mystery oil in there to help break it in, do not overfill.

Old 04-14-2006, 11:11 PM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point

BTW; I forgot a step in there. I'm always doing that and I looked at this by mistake and thought about it.

After I get an engine turning over quite nicely, I generally get ready to actually start the darn thing. But part of my process is to change the oil and filter, one more time. I will then start engine and once running, let it go through its normal initial breakin and I dont mean 500 miles, I mean 20-30 minutes, and I change the oil again, even the filter if its a sbc. That would be one that can be filled to the top when removed and placed back on. I think twice about sideways filters cause you rob the engine of oil a little bit each time with this process.

It is best to have a real oil pressure gauge attached while doing this even if you have no intentions of leaving it on there. Do not work with idiot lites alone.

No, I dont use the best filters or even the best oil for all this. A regular filter and havoline 30 weight is plenty. You can change over to the fancy stuff once it runs right and everything is broken in. Yes I use a quart of mystery oil at each step except the last semi-permanent change.

If you do have/had rust in a cylinder, you may find that a ring has broken. The particular cylinder will lose compression or smoke to let you know. I never crank an engine over that I suspect of having rust in a cylinder wall. I pull the heads.

Old 04-17-2006, 01:46 PM
Starting Member

Thanks a lot for the information everyone!!! I really appreciate it!

The blazer is now working great, I'll post some pictures in a week or so

Quick Reply: Starter or crankshaft?