2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

starter work perfect when cold and not starts after several hours of driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 07:34 AM
an240172 is on a distinguished road
Default starter work perfect when cold and not starts after several hours of driving

Hallo,
a new starter was instuled just six mounth ago but now problem is: starts perfectly when cold, but after several hours of driving not possible to start again, relay sounds, pump sounds, dush and cluster on, but no crank or any other noise from starter. after car stands still for 15-20 minutes starts again perfectly. Wires and power ok. In no-start condition, if connect starter contacts, starter motor run and sound. Overall empression like solenoid not push starter gear to engine flyweel (and first what comes to mind is to shange solenoid). But solenoid is only 6 mounth old and that fact is make me unsure about that idea. What else can be? Any suggestion what can be or how to fix it?
Thanks

Old 11-18-2009, 07:49 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tested power at the solenoid during the hot start? If you are getting power to the main power terminal (large wire) and to the small solenoid trigger wire when you attempt to start it, then the only conclusion is that the solenoid is being affected by the heat.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:33 AM
an240172 is on a distinguished road

Thanks,
I suppose to do so, the only thinks doubght me how new solenoid can die so fast

Old 11-18-2009, 08:39 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Even new parts can have defects.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:24 AM
dman001948 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a old trick you might want to try, but from what it sounds like it is a defective Solenoid.

But, We use to take the solenoid off, take it apart and turn the plate around (it has two sides) put it back together and you have a rebuilt starter (back in the old, old days, this trick was use and the person was charge for a rebuilt starter).

Now in todays world, Since I have not problems with my starter yet (2000 4x4 LT Blazer) I haven't even look at the starter to see if its the same as back then ( 60's, 70s, and 80's I believe).

But since you will have it out and if its the same as the old ones, it might be worth a shot and bence test it before putting it back in.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Surprisingly, the starters on these trucks are not too much different from the starters of years ago. I have done that trick on a few occasions. I have also cleaned up the brushes and armature on a few starter motors in the past to breath new life into them.