2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Beginning Member
copper_eyes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting issue

I am having a starting issue everytime I try to start my 96 Blazer. It takes a moment before it starts. I generally have been having this problem everytime it has been raining out, but now it is getting more and more of a regular thing. I'll have to crank it for about 5-10 seconds before it starts and it is a rough start. A code does come up and just today got one for cylinder 2 misfire. Any ideas on where to start?

Old 12-02-2008, 05:50 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Starting issue

How many miles since you did a complete tune-up (plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, fuel filter)?

Old 12-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Beginning Member

It is about due for a tune up. the last time I was able to get the code read with this issue it was cylinder 6 that showed up as a misfire

Old 12-02-2008, 05:55 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

After you've done the tune-up let us know if the problem continues.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:24 PM
lowe42 is an unknown quantity at this point

You might want to check the leads going onto the starter that supply the power to it, to make sure they are tight. You will have to prob take the front pass tire off and go threw the wheel well

Old 12-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Beginning Member

Ok, so yesterday I replace the cap and rotor. They did need to be replaced. Started fine right after replacing and an hour after replacing them. Drive to work which is about 45 minutes away, swing into a store and come out and had the starting issue. Replaced plugs and wires today and same thing, started right up after replacing them, then go back out about a half hour to head to work and have same starting issue. Cranks and gradually fires. Getting plenty of fuel.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:22 PM
BF Guru

If the problem is not starting after the engine has gotten hot, I would have the ignition control module (ICM) tested at AutoZone, etc. Have them test it 10-12 times to be sure it's good and hot. If it's going to fail, it will show it when it gets hot.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Beginning Member

I am having this problem every time i go to start it, whether it is hot or cold.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:38 PM
BF Guru

I guess I'm having trouble understanding what the exact symptoms are. When it is having starting trouble, does it just keep cranking and cranking and not turn over, or does it turn over and then idle roughly? After it does start what does the volt meter in the instrument panel show? Is it behaving any differently after the cap and rotor replacement than before? Have you had the battery, starter, and alternator tested?

Old 12-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Beginning Member

It'll crank for 5-10 seconds and then slowly fire. It does have a slight roughness to the idle and I mean slight. the voltimeter reads 14 volts after starting. the battery is fine, alternator charges perfectly and the starter is ok. There is no change in behaivor since changing the cap, rotor, plugs and wires.

Quick Reply: Starting issue