2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 01:52 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Starting issue

Well, after that reply, I'm starting to think about the fuel supply.I saw where you said 'Getting plenty of fuel.' What were the fuel pressure readings with the key in the 'on' (not running) position and then when you turned the key to 'off'?

Old 12-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Beginning Member
copper_eyes is an unknown quantity at this point

not sure on the actual pressures, but the pump was just replaced about 6 months ago. Also, if I turn the key on and off about six times(to build up pressure)I still have the same problem.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:05 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I'm still thinking fuel supply. It's not unknown for a pump that was replaced not long ago to still go bad (especially if it was a non-AC/Delco). If you are trying to prime over and over with the key and still no luck, I would be looking at testing the pressure.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Beginning Member

Ok, had a buddy of mine check the pressures as I am at work and he said they are perfect. Right around 60psi. He is puzzled as to what it could be.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

ok next question, pressure hits 60psi how fast does it bleed down when the key is turned off?

Old 12-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Beginning Member

not sure, don't think it bleeds to quick

Old 12-06-2008, 07:35 AM
Beginning Member

OK, so took a day yesterday to relax. Went to start it yesterday morning and it started right up. Through out the day of running errands it gave me a hard time starting. Leave work last night and it started right up. Stop at a store on the way home, inside for a couple minutes at most and have a hard time starting. This morning I go out to see what happensand it started right up.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: copper_eyes

not sure, don't think it bleeds to quick
What does that mean? Does it bleed down? If so, how many psi at 1 minute after key off? At 3 minutes after key off? etc...

If you have a marginal FPR leak, it would cause the engine to flood shortly after it has been turned off. Then, as time passed, the fuel would dissipate and making it easier to start.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:06 AM
Beginning Member

checked to see if pressure actually does drop and found it doesn't drop

Old 12-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Beginning Member

Update: Found no pressure droppage, but did notice that it will start just fine after sitting for 4-5 hours, but will give a hard time starting within 2 hours of it running last. Today I tried different things to get it started and found that if I depress the gas pedal a little bit it would start right up.

Quick Reply: Starting issue