2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Beginning Member
airguard1318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting issue

Have an issue with my 97 4x4 you guys might can help me with. I've searched as best I can but haven't found anything that is quite the same as the problem I'm having.
It started a few weeks ago. The truck wouldn't start untill the key was in the on position for a few seconds, if you tried turning the key to the start position right away it would turn over fine but wouldn't fire. Noticed that if you leave it in the on position for short time first the dash lights would light up and go off then it would crank up fine. Kind of a delayed response. Over the next few days the delay was longer and longer untill now the dash won't light up at all. Will still turn over but won't crank. So far I've swaped the 3 relays under the hood around and the 3 relays in the glove box around with no luck. Any suggestions on where I should go from here?

Old 02-12-2010, 11:06 PM
jigger is on a distinguished road

start simple. it sounds like a loose/broken wire on the simple side. lots of fun chasing it down. check for power at the fuse panel and then work both directions. it's most likely not a fuse but that will tell you if there is power going to that point. also pay attention to the grounds.
Good luck

Old 02-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can hunt it down when I get some spare time. (if there is such a thing) Till then she's just gonna have to sit and wait her turn. I'll be sure to post the problem and solution when I get it solved.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:00 PM
Starting Member
awe341 is on a distinguished road

Please let us know what you find.
I have had a similar problem with the ignition delay on my 2000 S-10 for almost 2 years now and I have been unable to track it down. Though unlike yours mine has never gotten worse in all this time.

Key forward for 3-4 seconds and it starts up every time but try to start it up right away and it's a no go.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by awe341
Please let us know what you find.
I have had a similar problem with the ignition delay on my 2000 S-10 for almost 2 years now and I have been unable to track it down. Though unlike yours mine has never gotten worse in all this time.

Key forward for 3-4 seconds and it starts up every time but try to start it up right away and it's a no go.
defintly sounds like a fuel pump

air guard check your battery terminal. also sounds like your fuel pump is starting to go also

Old 02-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Spectreblazer
defintly sounds like a fuel pump

air guard check your battery terminal. also sounds like your fuel pump is starting to go also
I can't say about the OP but mine is most certainly not a fuel pump issue. All tests of the fuel system on mine are well within specs. If interested you can see a short list of replaced and tested parts and fuel pressure results taken while working on my now resolved uphill power issue here https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/uphill-power-loss-40701/

If nothing applicable shows up here I will probably start my own thread listing everything I have checked so far for this odd problem with my truck.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:41 PM
Banned

so when you say no go. it won't even turn over. or it turns over/cranks but won't start.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Starting Member

For mine no go is it will crank but not fire up until you give it it's three count with the key on but not cranking. It will however fire up without doing so if the engine has been running for even a minute within the previous hour.

It's a very odd problem that I have been chasing in my truck for a couple years to no avail.

airguard, if you aren't getting any dash lights at all but it still cranks then you may be looking at having to replace the ignition switch itself.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by awe341
For mine no go is it will crank but not fire up until you give it it's three count with the key on but not cranking. It will however fire up without doing so if the engine has been running for even a minute within the previous hour.

It's a very odd problem that I have been chasing in my truck for a couple years to no avail.

airguard, if you aren't getting any dash lights at all but it still cranks then you may be looking at having to replace the ignition switch itself.
thats the next thing i'd say would be to test. the tumblers fail in these quite a bit. i know kyle had a thread on how to replace, he might have one on testing, i'll see if i can find it.https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-articles-diy-29/ignition-switch-replacement-book-method-36967/

Old 03-12-2010, 11:51 PM
Beginning Member

Yeah I think an ignition switch removal and replacement is what I'm going to have to try. I may spray some cleaner in it to see if it has any effect, but I'll replace it even if it helps. It appears to me that they only put this particular switch in the 97 blazers and no others. It must be a problem child or they would have used it in more than just one year model. I will post the solution when I finally find it.

Quick Reply: Starting issue