2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Starting issue after heavy rain

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Argo123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting issue after heavy rain

I have an 04 Blazer, and coulden't start it earlier. There was a heavy rain and wind storm that passed through and I think that might be related.

I unlocked it with the FOB, sat in it, and turnt the key to start it and it didn't turn over. The lights came on, the power windows worked..everything was fine electrically as far as I could tell, but there was no sound of anything happening under the hood when I pushed the key all the way foward. I did that (key foward/backward/foward/backward)for about 10 seconds before it started right up.

I was kind of worried and wanted to see if it would happen again, so I shut the engine off. I waited about five seconds and tried to start it; same problem for about another minute before it turned right over and started.

Anything I should check out? Any connections prone to getting wet that I should double check?

Old 09-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Starting issue after heavy rain

Did you notice the "SECURITY" light on the dash staying on while it was not starting? If so, this is a tell tale of an ignition switch starting to go. If not, how old is your battery? The stock AC Delco batteries and some others like to corrode inside the battery near the positive post which can cause the no start issue, but give you the false sense that the electrical system is working fine by allowing enough current to run the radio, windows, locks, etc.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:56 PM

Now that you mention it, I did see the security light blinking while I was attempting to start it. How big of a job is replacing the ignition switch if it comes to that?

And I'm not sure about the battery..it is a Delco though. If it is the stock batt, then it's at least 4 years old. I was checking it out this weekend and the outer posts (especially the positive) are rusted/corroded. I might pick up a brand new battery also..any reccomendations? I'd like to install one with four posts if possible..would be easier to connect my CB I'm putting in at some point.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I am partial to Deka batteries, but that is just my personal preference. They can be more pricey than other brands, but that is all that we ever used in any of our tractors and tractor trailers and they have always started in sub-zero temps.

Check out the DIY section for the book method of replacing the ignition switch, but I would not do that until you get your battery checked or just replaced. First try to just clean the terminals and see if it cures the problem. I replaced the battery in my 24k mile (at the time) 2004 Rainier due to the sides bulging and the fact that it was four years old. I have the old battery in the garage as a 12V power source for bench testing components.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:20 PM

I'll clean the existing battery up this weekend and see what happens, but I'm untimately going to buy a whole new one just for peice of mind. I'll look into Deka..how much do they generally go for? Is there some kind of way to identify what size battery I need to buy?

I'm used to just dropping my car off at my mechanic and paying the bill for whatever was fixed/replaced..even something like replacing a battery so I'm a newbie with this stuff. I'm interested in learning all this simple crap I SHOULD already know, like replacing a battery.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:13 AM
Administrator

You need a group 75 battery. I would get something in the 600-700CCA rating if you are in a cold climate. It never hurts to have more CCA in a battery either. I jump start a lot of people so I get the highest CCA battery I can fit (often larger than stock group size as well).

As far as where to get Deka batteries... I do not know. I have a local electrical supply shop that carries them. Not sure on prices either. I found them to be a bit more expensive than your chain brands, but it was not excessive IMO.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:32 PM

OK, problem happened again today, coulden't get it started for about 15 minutes. Nice day no rain, dry.

I specifically looked for the SECURITY light and it wasn't on when I was trying to start the car. Same problem as my original post...but this time I had someone try to jump my battery. Didn't work, and my battery was getting a notch below 14V anyways, but I figured I'd try.

After about 15 mins of trying on and off it started right up, but the guy who gave me the jump said it might be my alarm system. He went under the brake pedal or gas pedal and pushed a button, and the doors unlocked/locked. He said if it happens again push that button (some kind of security system override)

Anyone ever hear of this? And I tried to find the button myself under/behind the molding near the pedals but I coulden't find it...I'm thinking of unbolting that plastic panel above the pedals and trying to see it.