2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Starting issue!!....CRAP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 06:06 PM
myblazer96 is on a distinguished road
Default Starting issue!!....CRAP!!!

Hello guys n gals. I have a 1996 Blazer and I had a fuel line leak. The leak was under the drivers side rear door. I was so happy to see that it was able to be accessed without much trouble. Cut the line, cut the other end and something just was not right. Smelled the fluid, CRAPPPP its brake fluid. Ok not to big of a deal, found the RIGHT line, and replaced it from the tank to the filter. Started the truck, runs great and no leaks. Got dark so I crimped the brake line to replace it today. Picked up the parts this morning, replaced the line, bled the brakes and said.... "yay, all done. Start the truck Katie (my daughter)". "um dad, it wont start". CRAPPPPPP. tried everything, checked the started, jumped the battery, but still will not even attempt to turn over. I tried to start it in neutral, still nothing. It is getting power to the starter, both on the purple wire and the main cable. Sorry for the long post. Also it is a 1996 blazer with the 4.3 vortec. 4x4

Old 12-27-2014, 06:21 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

How did you check the starter? Take it off? Almost sounds like the engine is hydro locked if starter spins when off the engine.

Pull a spark plug out and see if fuel pours out.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:46 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Try putting a socket on the crankshaft bolt, see if the crank will turn clockwise using a breaker bar

Old 12-27-2014, 07:00 PM

I am able to turn the engine by hand. I grabbed the belt with 1 hand and pulled while I pushed on the alt. and I was able to turn it about 1 rotation on the alt. It is weird, last night it cranked and started without any issues. Today, it wont crank at all. I thought the battery was dead, but I jumped it and charged the battery and still nothing. I hear a click from under the hood but no crank. ugg

Old 12-27-2014, 07:05 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If you can turn it by hand, and when you jumped it, still won't crank, Pull the battery cables off the battery, both of them. Remove the bolts from the terminals, clean the bolts and the battery terminals til they shine. Then put her back together, make sure the bolts are tight. Try it, post the results. Clean the terminals on the cables AND on the battery.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:35 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Take the red and black plastic covers off the battery cables as well and clean the connections.

Good to read that not hydro locked and probably just dirty cables.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:57 PM

Well. ALL connections are clean. Seriously!! mirror shine....lol. I think im leaning towards neutral safety switch (since the body of it is cracked) or the starter. As soon as I get the cash to buy 1 or the other Ill change them. Im shooting for the NSS since it is cracked, so it should be replaced anyhow. Ill let ya all know what come about next week sometime. Thank you all for the help.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:03 PM

The purple wire on the starter solenoid, (on the starter) comes from the NSS. So if you're getting power on it in the START position, the NSS is working and the solenoid should be clicking. Have an assistant turn the key to the START position while you listen to it. If it doesen't click, (should be a pretty good "thunk") either the solenoid is bad, or the engine block is not getting a good ground.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:20 PM

Ok. I picked up the parts today. 1 Neutral safety switch and 1 starter=$174! I FINALLY got the NSS off/out, BUT I broke the stud off that holds the shifting lever to the NSS No worries, I own a welder After getting it to park, I tried to start it, NO GO. Then I TRIED to pull the starter. GRRR is all I can say. WHAT A b***h. I was able to drop it but I was not able to get it out. I got frustrated and stopped. I didn't wanna get mad and break something. Tomorrow is another day.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:56 PM

I finally got the starter out and the new one installed. The old one is DEAD!!! Now it starts, moves, and stops. There is only one problem that I have. The shifter will not shift into 1st or 2nd gear. It took all I could do to get it to shift into Drive. I don't get it, it shifted fine before I changed the NSS, tried to adjust it, but had no luck. I finally got it to shift into park and drive. Any ideas on this issue guys?

Quick Reply: Starting issue!!....CRAP!!!