2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Starting problem, if not one thing than ANOTHER!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The flex pipe is the pipe is part of the fuel pump assembly (aka. sender) and runs from the pump to the top of the assembly.

The shutoff adapter is detailed at the bottom of the post.

bsbob, please do not jump in to someone else's thread asking for advise. Follow along if you like & try what's suggested, but create a new thread of your own if you have questions.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Starting Member
shotnva777 is on a distinguished road

I don't think he was hijacking thr thread, he didnt ask a question. He was just saying he replaced the fuel pump for $100 on amazon and then 200 miles later had the same problem. I think your problem is probably a cheap pump bud, its probably just going out again and getting weak. I doubt its your fuel injectors if it was running fine when u first put it on.

And swartlkk, I don't see where anywhere explains the shutoff adaptor a the end of any post. The only thing I see at the end of the post is something people made in order to hook up the pressure gauge to the filter. Mabye this is what your talkin about? Either way, I believe I've narrowed it down to a fuel pump... sucks but I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Guess it could be worse!

I think I'm just going to buy one of these cheap pumps off amazon for $90 and see if it fixs the problem. I don't want to waste 300 on a good pump if it's not the problem. If the cheap pump gets me going again than ill run it until it goes out (which seems like it'll be 200 miles later! Lol) and then buy me a good one for LIFE!

Thanks again for everyones comments and help, ill let y'all know the outcome of the new pump. If it doesn't fix the pressure than I suppose ill replace the FPR next, I have a feeling that wont be necessary... late

Old 08-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't determine what he was trying to do given the complete lack of punctuation & grammar. Oh well.

As far as the shutoff tool goes, the info at the end is there to provide an alternative to the $100+ tool that GM uses.

DO NOT go with the cheap pump. You will be doing it again shortly. AC Delco or Delphi pumps only unless you like doing the same repair over and over again. Aftermarket pumps SUCK in the quality department. Practically everyone on this forum that has gone cheap has regretted it and the others probably were just too prideful to report back that they had made a bad decision.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:37 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Honestly dont go with those cheap pumps . they dont even last 6 to 8 months

Id go with delco or delphi like swartlkk stated

Old 08-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Starting Member

haha I understand... I'm only getting the cheap pump for the time being, I may not even leave it in there. I just want to see if it's going to fix the problem honestly. If it fixes the problem then I'll get a good pump from AC delco, I found one for $170 on ebay (I believe it was ebay?). If the cheap pump doesn't fix the pressure problem than the pump on the truck may still be good, you know? Than I'm going to have to look elsewhere for the problem part (my next go to would be the FPR). JUST to see if the pump is the culprit I will be putting this one in to check... Chevy S10 Blazer Fuel Pump and Sending Unit Module - AM Autoparts

BTW - Can you point me in the direction of an AWESOME diagram for changing the fuel pump? lol... that would be nice. I'm positive I have to drop the tank unless I cut a hole in the floorboard huh? How hard is it to take the tank out? After that I'm assuming it's all pretty much plug n' play...

Old 08-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Administrator

I wouldn't recommend cutting a hole in the floor so yes, you have to drop the tank. You'll want to drain it to make it easier. As far as a how-to, you could always create one.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:57 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by shotnva777
haha I understand... I'm only getting the cheap pump for the time being, ... I found one for $170 on ebay (..
Oh geez.. So not only youre buying cheap, youre taking a chance on buying the wrong one.

Go to rockauto.com, there's several for less than 170. And at least it will probably fit.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:47 AM
Beginning Member
bsbob is an unknown quantity at this point

having just replaced the pump myself with the help of 1 other,i can say even w my limited car knowledge,it wasnt too diffucult-but you may need a sodering gun and have to splice the wires!!!i did-two brackets hold the tank when you loosen them enough you should be able to disconnect the 3 lines(quick release)-oh and have to disconnect the filler ,that was an awkard angle!!im very curious to see if this works for ya!!good luck

Old 08-15-2011, 09:24 AM
Starting Member

Thanks for yalls help and thanks for the rockauto source... the one I found on ebay was an ac delco pump though, if they have those for under 170 that would be great because I want the permanent pump to be a genuine part. I suppose ill just have to figure out how to drop the tank myself, thanks for the tips though. I was just wondering if there was a step by step guide, didn't know if someone had created one to help others... not a big deal though, I'm sure I can figure it out relatively easy.

Oh and I shouldn't need to put on a new harness, someone has replaced the pump before and it already has the aftermarket fuel pump harness on there. Thanks for the warning nonetheless, I'm just hoping most of the aftermarket pumps use that same harness! From the pic of the one I ordered it def looks the same...

Originally Posted by pettyfog
Oh geez.. So not only youre buying cheap, youre taking a chance on buying the wrong one.

Go to rockauto.com, there's several for less than 170. And at least it will probably fit.
I LOVE how you combined two of my sentences together that weren't even talking about the same pump lol. The cheap pump for the time being was the one that I left the link for, the permanent pump was the one on ebay and from the description was a direct replacement for the stock part number.

Last edited by shotnva777; 08-15-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Starting Member

Just wanted to let yall know that i installed the new fuel pump last nigbt. After i put it on i checked the fuel pressure before trying to start it. It STILL came up at around 45psi after several turns of the key (trying to build the pressure). I decided to spray a shot of starter fluid in it and give it a go, it started up but immediatly died. I sprayed another shot in it and put the intake back on the throttle body and it started and ran perfect. So i figured out that the intake HAS to be on the throttle body in order to run, i shouldve known that. Im starting to wonder if the old pump was still good because i never did that after replacing the fuel filter, figured it would atleast run for a min or so without it on! >_< either way, its runnin again with the cheap pump (though probably not for long!) And i plan to keep it on until it goes out and leaves me stranded on the side of the road. Then it will be replaced by a geniune pump! Just wanted to tell yall thanks, especially Swartllk for all the help. Right now I'm going to cut ou my fenders for my tires' clearance, ill post some pictures on the forum later to show y'all how it looks! Late!