2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 01:51 AM
Beginning Member
Tarner is on a distinguished road
Question Starting Problems

Hi all, I just found this site through a search while looking for a fix to my 2000 blazer. This looks like a good site with lots of information that will be handy for me in the future. I did a search here and found problems that sound close to mine but not quite the same.

here's what is going on. I have a 2000 blaze that I just replaced the fuel pump and filter on and now it won't start. It will turn over strong, fire for a split second then nothing. I turn the key off for a few seconds and try it again and get the same thing. After repeating this a few times it got better each time till it started. I ran the truck a few miles down the road and noticed there as some sputtering and weak power. That all cleared up after the first mile or so and then it ran fine. I Came home took a shower and then drove it to the gym, back home, then to my in-laws and everything seemed fine. There was about an hour between each stop and start at each location till the last one. When we were ready to come home the truck wouldn't start again. It did the same thing it was doing after I installed the fuel pump. It will turn over and fire for a split second and then nothing. But this time I couldn't get it to start. When I checked the fuel pressure the first time it wouldn't start my gauge was reading 42 psi. I seen that it should be up around 55-60 psi to start. But I'm thinking my gauge might be wrong since it started when it said 42 psi. I'll check the pressure on my ram in the morning to see if the gauge was reading wrong. So as of now the truck is stuck at my in-laws and I'm here scratching my head.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Ape357 is on a distinguished road

do you hear the fuel pump turn on when you turn key on, engine off? should hum for a couple seconds. you may have a defect pump or bad seal causing the low pressure. might wannna give your injectors a look and test them as well.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:28 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the help but the fuel pump is working fine I was just not getting the pressure I needed to start the engine.

I did find the problem. It was the battery. When the battery drained down from trying to start it my father in-law and I hooked up jumper cable and the pressure jumped up to 62 psi. Then it took three tries to get the truck started. Once it was running the pressure held steady around 50 psi and everything looked good. Now time to replace the battery with a new one and this problem will be behind me.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:51 AM
Beginning Member

Damn it!!! New battery put in last night everything seemed fine and now it won't start this morning. It's doing the same thing again.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:43 AM
chevytruckdood is on a distinguished road

cold? water in your gas lines i know it sounds like a stretch but mine takes about 3-5 tries to start up ever since i got water in my gas. ughhhhhhh

Old 01-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Beginning Member

I wouldn't think so I drained and cleaned the tank out when I had it out and it was dry as a bone when I put it back in. I'm thinking a dirty or bad ground some where. My fuel pressure only gets up to 50 psi unless I get a jump from an other car. When its hooked up to the other car it will go up to 60 psi and will start fine. Then it runs just like normal. Next thing I'm thinking about doing is to change the battery cables and start checking and cleaning all the ground points.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:16 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

Fuel pump...put in an ACDelco? Whether you did or not I'd be looking REAL

Old 01-10-2011, 07:18 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

oops...don't know what happened there but...I'd be looking real close at the fuel pump. Especially if all was well before the repair. Good luck. Jerry

Old 01-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Starting Member
Longer02 is an unknown quantity at this point

My truck is doing something similar but I have not changed the pump yet. Waiting to diagnose further to make sure. If mine sits overnight now it wont generally start the next morning. Once it starts I can drive it all day with no problems. I will keep an eye on this thread for any updates and be sure to update my thread I started with any progress.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If your grounds all check out fine and you have proper voltage on the positive line to the pump, the pump is likely at fault.

Quick Reply: Starting Problems