2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Startup Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 02:42 AM
Beginning Member
CanadianaBlazer is on a distinguished road
Default Startup Issue

- 2001 Blazer LT

- Starts up very quickly when engine is cold.

- About 20 or 30 mins after operation, difficult to kick over - 2 to 3 seconds cranking.

- Put on diagnostic at GM Goodwrench, dirty MAF sensor .. cleaned and replaced air filter upon recommendation.

- Worked great but 2 weeks later problem has begun again.

- Good fuel pressure, brand new Delphi pump and filter (pump humming prior to startup) .. problem seemed to have started after installing new fuel pump but GM assures the pump is fine. Good spark .. suggestions?

Last edited by CanadianaBlazer; 02-18-2014 at 02:43 AM. Reason: left out important point
Old 02-18-2014, 08:27 PM
Beginning Member

Ive been reading up and all signs point to the MAF again .. but if I just had my "serviced" and a GM dealer, wouldn't they have recommended it be replaced after looking at it? Frustrated and wanting to figure this out once and for all, any tips help!

Old 02-19-2014, 02:26 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

The dealer may or may not have suggested replacing the MAF if it was just dirty. Are there any new trouble codes in your computer? That may give you something to go on with your troubleshooting. It would be worth it to try cleaning the MAF again. Just don't use carb or brake cleaner; MAFs should only be cleaned with the special MAF cleaner.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:12 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Toby Hanson
The dealer may or may not have suggested replacing the MAF if it was just dirty. Are there any new trouble codes in your computer? That may give you something to go on with your troubleshooting. It would be worth it to try cleaning the MAF again. Just don't use carb or brake cleaner; MAFs should only be cleaned with the special MAF cleaner.

I used to own an '88 Fiero and learnt how to check for codes using a paper clip .. are you familiar? Is it possible in our blazers to do the same? If so I can check for new codes tonight without having to go to the dealer for it and check if any new codes are present. My receipt stated no more trouble codes so .. I will attempt to clean the MAF or even replace. Thanks!

Old 04-06-2014, 07:27 PM
Beginning Member

SOnnnnnnnn of a bitch! Its the Spider ... GM quoted me 3 grand to replace it and the intake gaskets. Unreal, found a brand new upgraded spider with full multiport and all seals for 250 bucks. Pays to shop around!

Old 04-08-2014, 08:24 AM
Starting Member
joejiz is on a distinguished road

no way where did you get that? there is a video online on what's involved to change out the spider, it's quite the job! lastly the problem you described was for a $30 emissions solenoid on the intake manifold that was seized open. Once I replaced that my truck always started fine no matter how long I was running it in a day.

gas stations, couple trips here and there shopping etc, always started up fine.