2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Steamy Windows

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:48 AM
BigMarcus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Steamy Windows

1995 LT Blazer / 4.3L type W. On my way to work this morning the windows started fogging up and using the defroster did not help at all. Once at work I checked the carpeting and UGGG! its wet under the dash on the drive line hump. I know I need a heater core and they run right around $50 or so. In checking at the local Chevy dealership on a quote, they want $774 just in labor (Ouch!!) to replace the core. My question is can a home garage mechanic (myself) replace the core? I have a couple of manuals (Haynes and Chiltons) which are kinda of ify, but do seem to go through the steps which look quite intensive. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:25 PM
Default RE: Steamy Windows

One other question I forgot to ask is there a heater control valve in the blazers? Or is the coolant always flowing through the heater core and baffles control the heat? Thanks again..[]

Old 10-16-2007, 02:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Free flowing design. Blend doors inside the HVAC housing control the direction of the air through the case.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:12 PM
BigGreenMonster is an unknown quantity at this point

I've done them on both my 1st gens. They are pretty easy, but from what I understand, the second gen is quite a bit more involved. Yea, almost 800 bucks is a ripoff. Well, ripoff is not really the appropriate word, because it is a several HOUR job. By ripoff, I guess I'm saying, by the type of tools needed and the amount of physical strength required. Its do-able by anyone with an IQ of 85.

You're going to have quite a bit of miserable gruntwork ahead of you. Good news is, you don't have to worry about rendering it undriveable. Worst case scenario, if you can't fix it, bypass it until you can. I had a guy pay me to do a heater core on a 95 Pontiac Grand Prix, let me tell you that I cannot possibly imaging a 2nd gen Blazer being worse than that. I pulled it off and I am no ASE mech by any stretch of the imagination. Patience is really the key here.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:47 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Do a search, go back to last fall and I'm sure you can find at least one decent "How to" post on heater cores.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:31 PM

Thank you all for the inputs and advice. I did by pass the radiator for now to allow the thing to be drivable. I did a little more calling around and found a reputable repair place (checked with quite a few people I know) that will do the entire job for $740. All new parts and a warranty to boot. I mentioned this latest info to the wifey and her answer was "do it". (She does spoil me alot) A radiator or power steering pump is one thing, but basically tearing out the dash and all is another. There is a co-worker at workthat use to work in a radiator shop doing things like this. He told me that it is not a very fun job plus you wind up getting cut to pieces quite often on all the sharp edges trying to get to clips, screws and what have you. The Blazer is in almost mint condition, so what's a few bucks to keep things going not to mention retaining my body fluids and temper.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:07 PM
BigGreenMonster is an unknown quantity at this point

You're right, I should have added that. You will get quite a few scrapes and cuts working under the dash. I generally have a pretty high tolerance for pain, my scrapes tend to itch more than hurt. I guess it has something to do with the anti-freeze getting in there. On the other hand, I would argue tearing everything apart is easy, putting it back the right way is the fun part.

As far as losing your temper. I've been fiddling with cars for 3 years now. Learning a little bit every time. One thing that took a long time to learn was that when I lose my temper, I tend to make things worse. I moved to PA from MD, the best friend from MD met my new best friend from PA, both of whom I've worked side by side with on cars. The MD doesn't believe the PA friend that I don't flip out and destroy things anymore when working on cars.