2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

still stalling after replacing fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 03:23 AM
Beginning Member
bsbob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default still stalling after replacing fuel pump

so a few weeks ago i replaced my fuel pump after my truck(2002 4.3) had been stalling on me and not starting again.after we changed the fuel pump it started up and ran for a couple days and then stalled again.now it really wants to die at every light and especially when going uphill.sometimes i can feel it pausing while driving,as if something wants to cut off the flow of gas.my family bought me the fuel pump and of coure its off brand(onix)but it cant be going bad this quick???im stumped

Old 08-17-2011, 07:37 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Best approach is to start with a fuel pressure & leak down test.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:27 PM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

This is similar to what had happened to my 97. Just driving down the road it would intermittedly lose power. Sometimes it would be fine all day sometimes I was concerned i couldnt get home. Once you get the fuel pressure info to be sure the pump is performing i would look at a couple of things. IF the pump tests good, I would suspect an electrical issue. It may be an interrmittent connection to the fuel pump, or a problem in a sensor circuit for the ECM. Start with basics. Troubleshoot the problem. DO NOT let anyone talk you into replacing parts unless you KNOW they are bad. Guessing is expensive and it isnt their money they are spending. Troubleshooting is cheap.

Gather your information and bring it back and we will get this figured out.

BTW - Any codes?

Old 08-17-2011, 11:13 PM
Beginning Member

yes both the abs and the other brake light comes on all the time-security light blinks when you open the door-i drove ot too fast during a rainstorm and the problems started shortly after

Old 08-18-2011, 08:16 AM

ABS light and brake light 99% have no connection to your problem. I was refering to engine codes. Explain a little more why you feel the rain storm caused this. Was the vehicle submerged? Super deep puddles? Or it just might be a coincidence that its acting up after a rain. OR you could have a little detail there that would help us.
Im not sure where youre from but around here idiots drive too fast in ALL weather.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The rain bit may indicate an ignition system (ignition control module, coil, distributor cap/rotor, wires) type problem. Have you tried misting down your wires with the engine running at night with little to no ambient light?

Old 08-18-2011, 01:40 PM
Beginning Member

i beleive the rain storm caused this because it wanted to start stalling right away after i drove through the rain-streets were pretty flooded but only up to the sidewalk-but it was a few days later that it began its trouble-it just wouldnt start for me-until it was towed and the driver sat it down-i defintly need to replace the distributer cap i took it off and looked at it-and the plugs need to be gapped-could this really help-thanks alot for the input im gonna try and fihure it out this weekend!this truck has otherwise been 100% reliable-ive had it all over arizona-

Last edited by bsbob; 08-18-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:11 PM

I think you solved your own problem. YES a tune up will do wonders if its needed! Use genuine ac delco parts though. I wouldnt bother gapping the plugs. Just replace them when you do the cap, rotor and wires.

Good luck!