2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Stubborn oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:30 PM
ImRaptor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stubborn oil pan

Trying to get the oil pan off my 99 blazer to ge the pan and oil pump replaced. My problem is that the oil pan will just not come off.
I triple and quadrupled checked that there are no bolts left holding the pan.
I've beat the living crap out of my dead blow hammer trying to get the pan to even break free a tiny bit. Nothing, not even a tiny bit of movement.

Figured since I was planning on replacing the pan anyway, I would pry on the side of it away from the block and in the ridges of the pan. Still can't it to move.
Tossed a 5 foot pipe onto the end of the pry bar to get the pan to move. Bent the bar...

At at my wits end on getting this pan off, its such a simple thing but it driving me insane. Any suggestions on something else to try to get this pan free from the block?

Old 04-01-2008, 10:07 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Stubborn oil pan

I'm pretty sure the pan doesn't just 'come off' on the 98+ models.

Yep...a quick search:

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

With any '98+ 4.3L, the engine must be disconnected from the transmission bellhousing to allow for proper alignment of the oil pan upon reassembly. The cast aluminum oil pan is a structural component of the engine and transmission connection and precise placement is required for this. It may be possible to pull the pan and get it aligned properly without pulling the transmission, but you may then have to remove the front timing cover. The oil pan is sandwiched between the timing cover at the front and the transmission bellhousing in the rear. If you could do this without damaging the seals, then you will either have to remove the front axle, or jack the engine if there is enough room to do so (which I doubt).

Book calls for the removal of the engine to remove the oil pan.
Hopefully you didn't break something else other than the pan!

Old 04-02-2008, 05:28 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is possible to remove the pan without loosening (or disconnecting) the transmission, but the transmission should be loosened to put it back on in proper alignment.

Did you pull the 4 or so bolts out of the transmission lower bell housing?

Old 04-02-2008, 01:25 PM

Yep, removed all the bell housing attaching the pan.
After some more searching around, I'm not the only one to have a really hard time getting the pan off.
When I get a chance I am going to pull the timing cover off and try and break the seal from there. If I can get the seal to start to break free I'm sure it will come off.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is how tight the pan fits to the block and to the transmission bell housing. If you were to loosen the transmission from the back of the engine, I am sure that the pan would be easier to remove. But that is MUCH easier said than done.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:19 PM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

The problem is how tight the pan fits to the block and to the transmission bell housing. If you were to loosen the transmission from the back of the engine, I am sure that the pan would be easier to remove. But that is MUCH easier said than done.
Thanks for the info. Definetly going to give it that a shot next week when I get a chance.