2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Stuck during ignition switch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Beginning Member
lunari is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stuck during ignition switch replacement

Have been following the tech article, although some things on my 95 are quite a bit different. How do I remove this plastic ignition keyhole cover so I can remove the upper trim panel to get at the torx?

Attached Thumbnails Stuck during ignition switch replacement-gedc0022.jpg  
Old 07-22-2009, 08:57 PM
dew88 is an unknown quantity at this point

That rubber cover just pulls off, I accidently pulled mine off the other day. Just give it a good tug it will come off.

Whats the problem with your ignition if you don't mind me asking?

Old 07-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by dew88
That rubber cover just pulls off, I accidently pulled mine off the other day. Just give it a good tug it will come off.

Whats the problem with your ignition if you don't mind me asking?
The plastic where the key slides into just pulls off? If so I will go start tugging on it!

The ignition is fine, it's the switch that went out. To get to the switch though I have to get that top cover off which means removing this other part here.

It won't stay started, if rarely start, wonky electronics. Engine randomly shutting off etc, everyone I talked to said it was the ignition switch

Old 07-22-2009, 09:40 PM
dew88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Let someone else chime in aswell as I am not 100% that how its SUPPOSE to come off but mine came off and I put it back on.

Is any of your lights going wacky or just the truck cutting off etc?

Old 07-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by dew88
Let someone else chime in aswell as I am not 100% that how its SUPPOSE to come off but mine came off and I put it back on.

Is any of your lights going wacky or just the truck cutting off etc?
gauges go crazy, not sure on any of the lights. i'll post a link to a thread I made about it awhile ago

Old 07-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Beginning Member

here's the link to the thread, I had a few people suggest the ignition switch after that also.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/what-could-ecu-possibly-26137/

Old 07-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Beginning Member

I'd like to get this finished up after work today, so if anyone knows how to get that part off I would love to know!

Old 07-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Starting Member
gscrippler is an unknown quantity at this point

Look up under that top piece of column trim there are 2 reverse security hex screws
you need a special bit to take it off the one on the right side near the ignition is up in there
the left side is easier to get at then you take a small screwdriver and press in the tab on the cylinder and it will pop out

Old 07-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by gscrippler
Look up under that top piece of column trim there are 2 reverse security hex screws
you need a special bit to take it off the one on the right side near the ignition is up in there
the left side is easier to get at then you take a small screwdriver and press in the tab on the cylinder and it will pop out
Does that remove the whole cylinder? I just need to remove the plastic part that covers the cylinder and prevents the top wheel trim from being removed

Old 07-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Beginning Member

Well I popped the top trim piece out of place so the only thing holding it was the plastic piece where you put the key in trying to get under the cover to push in on the thing that slides the cylinder out so I can completely remove the trim piece. It snapped back down into place and snapped my hazard lights button into a few pieces. Fun Fun.. Starting to hate this project.

Quick Reply: Stuck during ignition switch replacement