2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

STUCK THROTTLE? TRANNY ACTING FUNNY AT HIGHER SPEEDS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 07:48 PM
chevyracing95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default STUCK THROTTLE? TRANNY ACTING FUNNY AT HIGHER SPEEDS?

Ok so i ran into a little problem yesterday. I was cruizing down the road i and went to pass a car so i put it to the floor. As soon as i passed the car i let off but it was still stuck to the floor. At that point i had no idea what to do, so for that milla second i had to think what would be the best way out of this. The first thing i instantly did was apply the brakes to slow down, but that didnt help. Next i put it in neutral for a sec and then back into Drive. and just to let u know, it DID NOT hit redline, i made sure of that. Once i brought it back into drive the pedal kicked free and i was coasting. I know what i did probably wasnt the best thing to do but it worked. my next idea was to just shut it off if that didnt work. Oh and i was going 50mph when the throttle got stuck. i did hear a knocking noise when i put it back in drive since it was WOT. Im sure that didnt help the tranny in anyway. PLEASE HELP ME! lol I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS WRONG!!

Old 06-18-2007, 03:57 AM
blzR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: STUCK THROTTLE? TRANNY ACTING FUNNY AT HIGHER SPEEDS?

How come not a soul has given up 2cents? This sort of thing happens to my mothers blazer all the time when she's in the parking lot..goes to start it and thankfully her foot is on the brakes and it tries to take off on her like a little ****..i think it's high tideshe got into another 4X4 4cyl suv! I used to be a very high lover of the blazer..now? not so much!

Old 06-18-2007, 07:34 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, things get missed. But even you yourself, blzR, haven't given any advice... So what's up with that???

Anyway, you'll have to run the gambit. The obvious, make sure that the carpet isn't up in and around the pedal inside. The not so obvious, disconnect the throttle cable and check the throttle body for sticking. If the throttle is sticking, you may have to remove the throttle body and give it a thorough cleaning. Pull on the throttle cable and see if there are any hard spots in it. Inspect the throttle and cruise cables for kinks that may cause it to bind up. If there are any kinks or worn spots on either of the cables, you probably should replace them. You'll also want to inspect the linkages under the dash for the throttle pedal to make sure that something hasn't gotten caught up in there.

The most likely culprit is carbon buildup on the throttle body. To clean it properly, you'll need to remove it from the engine. You'll want to buy a new throttlebody gasket and a few cans of sensor safe throttlebody cleaner and possibly some small brushes (I keep old toothbrushes for jobs like this). Remove the TB from the engine and remove the TPS (throttle position sensor) and IAC (idle air control) valve (if applicable) from the TB, noting their orientation and, in the case of the TPS, the side of the throttle shaft pin that the arm of the sensor rests on. Clean the pintle on the end of the IAC valve as well as the bore that it goes into. Clean the main throttle shaft/blade and the throttle bore of any carbon buildup. You may want to lubricate the throttle shaft with some light oil before putting it back into service. Before bolting it back up, check to ensure smooth open and closing of the throttlebody.

And just for a word of wisdom on this situation, the best thing that I have found to do is to just turn the engine off. Be mindful that you will loose power steering assist and the vacuum boost on your brakes, but everthing will still work and the vehicle won't be accelerating any longer.

And again to blzR, why not fix the problem with your mom's truck rather than just let her deal with it? Mostlikely it is suffering from the same issue, carbon buildup on the throttle plate/shaft. It's an easy fix only costing your time, a throttlebody gasket, and a can or two of sensor safe throttlebody cleaner.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:43 PM

But here's the kicker on this whole dam ordeal swartlkk(and READ this post CAREFULLY)..as i wrote in another thread,i have tried every dam thing i could conjure up on my '95 becoming possesed,after spending nearly $800 on all plugs,egr,sensors,tps,iac,cat,muffler,injector cleaner,plug wires,rotor,distr cap..etc-------finally giving up the gambit we took the beast into a reputable Chev dealership..here's what they did,after me telling them to fix this "Your vechiles running rich,so we put a new starter on it and those plug wires you bought were faulty,so here's your bill $730 frigg'n buckeroos!!!!! p*ss on the stealerships this world has to offer,now i'm just angrily humbled onWhatTF is a human to do..so trust me i am NOT just letting her live with this issue while chuckling behind her back.
I do very much appreciate the tearing apart the intake..is this where the "spider" will be housed then?

Old 06-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Like I stated in the other post you made, please run a search. Start a new thread if you have more questions, but we cannot be delving off-topic in other people's active threads. It isn't nice to the original author, especially if the new direction a thread gets twisted in has nothing to do with the original problem.

So please create a new thread on the problems you are having with your mom's Blazer and we'll tackle them one at a time.

This thread is for discussing the problem that chevyracing95 is having with a sticking throttle and similar issues.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:18 PM

so let me get this right then..nobody but me keeps this"original posters" thread of an inkling of any advice..then then BAM..suddenly i'm hijacking him after nearly 2 months of everyone else ignoring him!!!!!!!!!everywhere it seems i turn i'm hitting frigg'n brick walls withall forms/forums of theblazer energy field...like i said already.."not a soul has giving up 2cents"..my reason for no 2cents you beckon? i am in the same disgusting situation of ignorance on this issue myself!

Old 06-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Administrator

What part of 'must have gotten missed' did you not understand???

And your situation again... Oh yeah, when you start it up, it idles high. Kinda a WHOLE LOT different than being stuck at WOT on the highway... Ya think. Please just create your own thread on your issues. I'll respond and help out if you would only be so gracious as to completely describe your problems. I'm sorry, but I fell asleep in Mind Reading 101. And you must try to be more descriptive than 'this POS just don't run right'. Forgive me for being curt, but I can see how you may have been hitting 'road blocks' in other forums...

Any further posting in this thread that doesn't have anything to do with the topic at hand will be removed. If you have an issue with that, please PM me.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:10 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anybody considered an out of adjustment kick down cable if the model year and tranny fit???

Old 06-19-2007, 01:15 PM
Administrator

blzR, You have a PM.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:07 PM
esolliday is an unknown quantity at this point

@swartlkk

I have the same problem with a 2000 Blazer. I have seen a lot of discussion pointing to the IAC valve. With my truck, it seems that once it is stuck, if you shut it off and let it sit for 10-15 seconds, the idle returns to normal.

When the throttle sticks, I can see the throttle plate is stopping before it touches the throttle set screw. Will a stuck IAC valve do this?

Eric

Quick Reply: STUCK THROTTLE? TRANNY ACTING FUNNY AT HIGHER SPEEDS?